Olga in Australia?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
January 30th 2008
Published: January 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Seems 4:30am is early no matter what country you are in. We promised our new friend that we would give him a ride to see Olga (the "name" for the other pile of rocks here, more affectionately known as Kata Tjuta, but at 4:30am, not much affection floats around). So, it is pitch black when we get outside...and 25. The great thing about the dark, NO FLIES!!! And...a very killer view of the sky, best one we have seen in Australia so far, as there is very little light pollution and cloud in the desert. We drive out to the desert on our way to the site, even saw a dingo. We are keeping our eyes open for roo's and lizards, not an easy feat with just the lights of the car illuminating the road. No one told us to look for camels....they really should have. About the size of a moose, and probably do the same amount of damage to the car. Lucky for us, this one knows roadside courtesy and let us pass before he decided to cross. After 40km we were at the site, we took a few pics with the sliver of light, and then started walking the 7.4km track in partial light, mostly darkness.....but, no FLIES!!!! We make it about 2km, then the sun starts to rise. There are 36 different peaks in this area, but the track just makes a circle around few, it was called the valley of the winds...which we managed to hear a bit of. Once the sun was up, the flies got their wake up call. Appears it was a lonely night for most of them, so they kept us close company. We were done by 8am, and as we were leaving, the fly net people were just starting. Have fun folks, we have a date with qantas and a destination on the west coast. The area is a very cool place, and the heat was fun. If ever to return, will sink the 5 bucks and get a net. A favourite quote for the day...3 animals you have to beware of in Australia, the ants because they eat your food, the mosquitos because they suck your blood, and the flies because they will drive you crazy. Another drive back to town, and officially over our 150km quota for the car, we were back at the airport and off to the sunny west coast. Once off the plane, we discovered that 30C is no longer all that hot...felt a bit of a chill. We got to our hotel, and now we are just hangin' out in the city and getting ready for a move up the coast, going north, for a little fun on the beach.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb