Perth / Margaret River


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
January 20th 2008
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

Perth/Margaret River

(g)

Apologies for the lack of blog. We have been kicking our heels back for the past few weeks in Perth after the long drive.

Spent Christmas day on the beach in the 45 degree heat eating Chicken and Stuffing rolls (couldn't get a cooked Turkey!) First time away from one of Mothers Xmas feasts and have to say it felt a little odd!
Spent New years at a house party of two lovely girls (Sophie and Emma) that we met in Perth and had a really good night. So good infact that we didnt roll back into bed until around 9am the next morning.

Had a very nice time in Perth on the whole. Its a very pretty and clean city on the smaller end of the scale and has quite a small town feel about it, probably due to its isolated location.
Visited Fremantle which is a large sea side town just 1.2 an hour south of Perth. Very nice indeed. It's full of street cafes and little markets (put me in mind of a hot Greenwich) and we had a very nice Sunday lunch overlooking the harbour (is it bad that food and a decent cup of Coffee plays such a large part in my liking of a place??)

Also did the night tour of Fremantle Prison which was very spooky to say the least. Quite incredible that it only closed as a working Prison in the early 90s when you see the condition of the place (no air-con for a start!) Really quite Victorian.

Left Perth and drove down to the Margaret River region (on the South West corner) and spent a few days exploring the coastline there. Its full of vineyards and huge cavernous caves (see pics) and is very green and pretty (felt like we were driving through parts of Kent at times - only hotter)

Left Margaret River for the huge drive across the south coast to Adelaide which took 3 full days in all. Not much to see along this part of the country but we did manage to get to The Valley of the Giants and Wave Rock just before the sun went down on day 2. Hell of a drive and not one that either of us would want to repeat and time soon I dont think (I dont think we found a decent cup of Coffee the whole time). That said, passing through towns such as Grass Patch, Uppity Downs, Salmon Gums and Iron Knob (I am not joking) did make for some amusement!
The sight of Adelaide looming on the horizon was a very welcome one.

Due to spend the next week exploring Adelaide then its back in the car for the days drive to Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road.

Hope all is good with everyone back home. Missing you all loads!

G&PXXX

PS My road kill count has increased by two Rabbits!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



22nd January 2008

there you are
We were just the other day wondering where you'd got to. Good to hear from you. The Great Ocean Road is said to be fab. Would recommend visiting RM Willams, Prospect Road. Great for boots! I've still got mine. 7 years and still going strong. Al lived in Prospect Rd when he was a kid. The house has been pulled down, but you'd get the idea from the other federation homes on that road. Have fun!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb