Adelaide / The Great Ocean Road / Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Surfers Paradise
February 6th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Adelaide / The Great Ocean Road / Melbourne / Return to Brisbane
The End Of the Road Trip

The Great Ocean Road:
Left Adelaide for the days drive to Warnambool which is the start of The Great Ocean Road at its western end.
Set up for the night (very cold) and went exploring the town which was surprisingly nice (probably could have spent a little more time there if we had known)
Found a great old fashioned type burger place and had the best burger since we got here (it reminded me of the diner in 'Grease', so much so that I nearly broke into my rendition of 'Beauty School Dropout' but was missing my big silver hairdryer and also Paul didn't look that keen on the idea!)
Left early the next morning for the drive along The Great Ocean Road which is stunning (see pics) and quite scary at times when driving round the edge of the cliffs whilst towing the trailer. One downside here was that every lookout we stopped at seemed to have a plague of flies. First remedy for this was to don hats and fly nets over our heads which looked very attractive. Then we discovered that you can see the whole thing by helicopter (my kind of sightseeing!)
Spent the whole day along the road stopping at the various points (London Bridge, The Twelve Apostles etc) and it was certainly worth the drive.

Melbourne
Arrived in Melbourne late the evening (too late to get into the campsite) and found ourselves with no bed for the night. Motels seemed to be severely lacking but after much help from a local cabbie we managed to find a little motel on one of the freeways leading into the city.
Spent a week in Melbourne mostly relaxing (we have both been here before so didn't feel the need to do the sightseeing thing.)
Did manage to get some clothes shopping done however and also visited Ramsey Street (was expecting to see Madge popping over the road with a casserole for Helen Daniels but it didn't happen - sad but true)

Brisbane / Surfers Paradise
Left Melbourne for the two day drive back to our starting point in Surfers Paradise.
Tried to stop roadside overnight during a rain storm but managed to receive around 15 mozzie bites within 5 minutes of being out side (I swear that the mother of all mozzies landed on my arm and winked at me before eating me alive) so very quickly decided to find another Motel for the night.
Finally arrived in Surfers Paradise in the afternoon of day two after a very pretty drive through the Main Range National Park.

So we are back where we started, many miles under our belts, one punctured tyre, two dead rabbits, one dead lizard, a few dead birds, countless dead insects, a number of near misses with kangaroos/horses/cows/sheep, some white water rafting, a hot air balloon flight, some Canyon climbing, a helicopter trip, a couple of minor disagreements, some great memories, Paul nearly stepping on a baby snake, Dolphin, Sea Turtle and Shark Encounters and a huge feeling of accomplishment under our belts.

Due to be here for a couple of weeks while we sell the Jeep and the trailer and are booked to fly to Sydney on the 21st February for Mardi Gras. We leave Sydney on 5 March for Thailand.

Missing you all loads.
take Care
G&PXX


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



6th February 2008

way to go
Well done, what an acheivement! Great Ocean Road looks breath taking. Are you dressing up for the Mardi Gras? ;o) Keep the photos and blogs coming. wishing you safe travelling.
6th February 2008

Congratulations!
Well done on completing the grand circuit - I wonder how many people can say they have done that! I'm sorry to hear it is raining in Surfers Paradise and hope it has stopped by the time you read this. And thank you for the duet version of 'Happy Birthday' which got my day off to a great start! Enjoy Mardi Gras! Love to you both...
7th February 2008

You did it!!
Congratulations you two - how fabulous! I bet you are both chuffed to bits what an achievment, and oodles of memories too!! I have enjoyed reading all about your journey and see your pics on screen so Thank you for sharing your adventures. Stay safe and happy - love you both.xxxxxxxxx
7th February 2008

What a fantastic trip!
Thank you for sharing it - I feel like I was there!! Your photos and commentary were great - I'm sorry it's over! But looking forward to seeing you again soonish! xx
11th February 2008

Well Done You did it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well done you two I hope you kiss the steering wheel of the old jeep for getting you back, what a trip truly wonderful i am so so jealous cant wait to see you both and hear more about it all when you get back. We heading back out to G/C on the 12th March back on the 22nd then out to Greece in June. Have a great time at Mardi Gras so disappointed we wont see you there as we hoped but hey maybe another time! enjoy Thailand and keep on with the pics. Love you both heaps mwah. Us. xxxxxxxxx
12th February 2008

got to ask..
So what have you learnt on your trip guys?
14th February 2008

keep it coming
You've done the tour, so great..but please keep the blogs coming. I've heard sad reports of the the weather, I do hope it will not spoil your last legs. Guess it all depends on what expectations are..whether they are fulfilled. Enjoy every moment boys! You lucky s*ds!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb