Back to the WA Desert


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived back in Paraburdoo on a Tuesday afternoon to a hot high 30's heat, this is why I'm back, to finish training in this heat.

5 am Wednesday morning, a 20 km tester on the tarmac, no pack. Went well , 20kms in 2 1/2 hours, 8ks an hour. The discussion with myself is, what pace do I want to try and maintain through this race?. The only competition going on will be with myself and trying to get the best out of an older engine, although I expect the spirit of the occasion should lift the km rating a little.

Thursday was a very lackluster 12 ks on the treadmill and Friday, had to take the day off from exercise due to a massive funk. Where did this thing come from, a huge loss of confidence and enthusiasm, foetal position stuff, "I need to break a leg" to get out of this.

Wow what was this, a black hole not seen so clearly before, a defined other, different to the undulating ups and downs of daily life.

Two successful 20kms, 12 KG pack shuffles and some stern words from coach and mentor helped pull me out of it. 20kms, 3 1/2 hours, 5.71 kms an hour, too slow but completed. The next next big ones will be 3 x 30ks in a row see if I can lift the speed a little with less stopping, learning the art of drinking and eating on the jog perhaps.

To take out of it all so far. More discipline of the mind, try a Constant Power of Positive Thinking, keep away from too much negativity and the dark murky hole that ensues.

There is still the need to nail down the nutrition, both daily and training/race supplements. Have started the daily weighing in ,to follow the progress ,and results of more and higher calorie foods.

There is also, which pack to take ? the Radlight Evolution at 300 grams or the Camelbak at 650 grams with the bladder hydration system? . For a 5 hour pack shuffle around Paraburdoo will need to carry at least 4 litres of water and a 750 ml of perpetuem mix, a high carb enegy supplement, so the bladder is ideal. During the race will not need to carry so much water as there will be water stations every 10 ks, although there is a requirement to carry a 2.5 litre capacity.

Will accompany the desert blogs with images from the daily rounds


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



9th May 2013

The Man & The Mind
So it is true what they say "its all mind over matter" and a little help from a Friend.
11th May 2013


Just a short few words to encourage - You will do it - its just now hard do you want to make it on yourself!! Remember one day at a time one step at a time! Keeping the head space POSITIVE. Thinking of you as always with lots of love. The Cooks
27th May 2013

98 Octane
Bones..throwing hay all day/night in Porangahau heat and keeping up with Ron Dick in the rangers is already in the memory banks...use that when you think it's getting tough..:)..H

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb