Back to the desert cont.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Paraburdoo
May 11th 2013
Published: May 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The next major goal in the training schedule was to try several days pack shuffle in a row.

Decided to do 3 x 30 kms and the following days off a bit of a dress rehearsal of 5 x 30, if it can be completed well, a little psychological boost before the event.

The idea would be,get away before 5.30 am and back by mid morning to beat the midday heat. I have already suffered a mild heat stroke shuffling around out there in the afternoon heat between split shifts. Another goal of these runs was/will be too complete the 30 kms within 5 hours, 6 kms an hour, slow but at this stage possibly better too complete than crap out.

Another part of this training is being able to recover and get up and do it again the next day. This is where the focus on nutrition plays a part, both the energy nutrition during the exercise and for recovery following, all the while keeping an eye on the scales to make sure the weight is not still dropping.

Perhaps we could put the nutrition discussion to bed.

To quote Steve Born, the "balanced diet will provide all you need" notion is a myth for most but the truly dedicated, let alone trying to do a lot extra. Had already thought daily diet was not keeping pace with daily living let alone putting training on top of it, by the not so merry go round of colds, flu's, and bronchitis. Then with the weight loss from the latest round of training it was time to delve a little more deeply into nutrition and supplements.

As mentioned previously, breakfast was introduced into the daily routine no matter what the time. Porridge and a 50/50 protein/carb shake, began to have an immediate well being affect.

Next up was the sport supplement. I had been using Hammer Gels, and Perpetuem, with Recoverite immediately after exercise. On further research I found I was not using enough and the approach was haphazard. Along with the electrolyte product, the supplement intake as well as hydration all needed to be calculated for every hour of exercise, hot or cold weather and intensity of the training.

My sport band tells me I use approximately 1900 calories on a 5 hour pack shuffle. Knowing that around 300 calories an hour was
ParaburdooParaburdooParaburdoo

nestled in the desert
maximum absorption, a 200 calorie an hour rate was settled on for a shuffling athlete of dubious age. A mixture of Gels and Perpetuem is used to make up 1000-1200 calories for a 5 hour session.

With these mixtures and Endurolyte pills, an electrolyte replacement, I got through the 3 x 30 km without any problems.

The rest of the days nutrition includes a porridge breakfast, Recoverite smoothie with early lunch, cup of soup/nuts mid afternoon and an evening meal. 7-8 hours sleep and the next day started without a sore muscle, just the old stiffy back.

The Gobi March has a mandatory minimum requirement of 14,000 calories for the event. Even at that it has been suggested you will want to "eat your hand". Taking into account what has been working during the continuous 30 km shuffles and the readings, have ended up with daily ration packs that look like this

Breakfast, freeze dried porridge or cereals 450 calories; 200 grams Perpetuem approx 780 cals; 5 Hammer Gels 465 cals; 35 grm nuts and raisins 163 cals; 1 Hammer Bar 220 cals; 3 cup of soup 350 cals; 1 evening freeze dried meal 800 cals; total daily calories 3228, approx 22,000 calories for the event.

May be subject to tweaking when final pack weight comes in to account

What do you throw out of which pack?

Something to discuss after the 5 x 30 dress rehearsal


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

River bedRiver bed
River bed

Dry 11.99 months of the year


16th May 2013
little treats of the trail

A week to go...
loving the Blog although alittle tech - where the emotions!!! You sound like you are getting it sorted and you will be amazed at how great drugs are when you need them!! Give me a call just before you go. Love ya
16th May 2013
little treats of the trail

A week to go...
loving the Blog although alittle tech - where the emotions!!! You sound like you are getting it sorted and you will be amazed at how great drugs are when you need them!! Give me a call just before you go. Love ya

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb