Crossing The Nullarbor


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Norseman
April 1st 2011
Published: April 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Crossing the Nullarbor



Left Cape Bauer and found some cute fields of yellow flowers on the way to Streaky Bay.
We had a look in town, then proceeded north west towards Ceduna, getting some more fuel – 80.98L @ 159.9c/L.

There were many photo opportunities along the coast to admire our Great Australian Bight, with the Head of the Bight an absolute beauty! A pity it’s not the right season for whale sightings, but a temporary smidgen of blue sky all the same.

Nullarbor roadhouse had not changed much in the 10 years since Sheree had previously visited, with expensive fuel prices as expected – but being aware of the vast distances between towns ahead (and unpredictable fuel), we added 39.07L of diesel @ 204.9c/L.

After travelling 762km we arrived at our camp destination for the night – ‘157K Peg Rest Area’, which as the name suggests is 157Km’s from the SA/WA border.

Forgetting the great time difference between the two states, we got up and ready to cross the border, wondering why the sun was taking so long to rise on this particular day!
We had a thorough check at the quarantine checkpoint, despite having already stuffed ourselves with whatever fruit and veg we’d had left in the fridge.

Not far away from the border we explored Eucla’s old telegraph station ruins, which appeared to be slowly engulfed by the surrounding sand dunes.

Another fuel stop was required at Caiguna before driving Australia’s longest straight road (90 miles) – 146.6km’s! Glad we got that 40.23L @ 196.3c/L – as the expansive road of nothingness soon became the hilly mountains of Fraser Range.

After having used all our fuel we’d purchased today, as well as the two jerry cans – we arrived in Norseman with not much left in the tank and what seems like never ending kilometre’s on the odometer! So feeling an empty wallet from the bowser today, we only get enough to get us to Kalgoorlie tomorrow -30.15L @ 165.9c/L.
Another free camp on this leg of the journey - Mt Thirsty Rest area, just north of Norseman.

Km’s the past couple of days 1671.7
Total Km’s this trip 4058.7



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



3rd April 2011

Loving the blogs. The photographs are magnificent. A big congratulations on your graduation Sheree!!

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb