Kalgoorlie


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalgoorlie
April 3rd 2011
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Kalgoorlie



The weather the past couple of days has been a treat, providing beautiful sunrises each morning, particularly on Sheree’s Birthday – where we travelled from just north of Norseman to Kalgoorlie.
We ditched our camper pretty early on to check out the tourist sights, staying at Discovery Holiday Park Kalgoorlie($34 powered site – less with top tourist membership).
We spent the next 48hours enjoying the magnificent views in the largest working open cut gold mine in the southern hemisphere - KCGM Superpit, and what a golden mile it was! We were later to discover just how small our ute would be in comparison to these massive trucks and machinery – in one picture you can see a ute following a truck out of the pit, appearing so miniature in comparison.
The Australian Prospectors Mining Hall of Fame was next, where we participated in an underground tour, leading us 36.5m below the land surface. Luckily nobody on our tour group was claustrophobic, but at times Sheree felt she could have smothered a mature aged tourist (previously a safety officer before retirement) – while others had similar thoughts!
Back on the surface, we watched a gold pour demonstration – where the gold was heated to over 1000 degrees celsius and poured to create a golden bar worth around $30,000.
Having our attempt at gold panning, we didn’t strike any luck, so thought we might view the largest display of gold bars and nuggets in the state – this was at the Western Australian Museum.
Final tourist destination was the Art gallery, with a few local prints and paintings, with the theme ‘food for thought’ – not the best theme prior to lunch so our art appreciation time was limited by the grumbling sounds of our bellies!
We headed back to the caravan park, to perform the boring but necessary duties of clothes washing and such before heading off tomorrow, away from civilisation towards Cape Le Grand near Esperance.

Km’s to and around Kalgoorlie 240
Km’s this trip so far =4298.7




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb