Searching for The Nannup Tiger


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Nannup
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left Augusta, first stop was Cape Leeuwin lighthouse where the Indian and Southern oceans meet. Cape Leeuwin lighthouse is situated on the extreme south-west point of Australia and was dedicated to the world's mariners in 1896.

Then we travelled further along Caves Road to the huge Jewel cave which was discovered in 1957. This fascinating cave contains numerous Stalactites & stalagmites - one of the most decorated caves on Oz. The cave was extremely dark and in many places we had to lower our heads to avoid hitting the limestone roof. Our favourite rock formation was the enormous melting wedding cake! The layers and various colours of the rock were amazing.

Next we visited Hamelin Bay, which is a beautiful beach with clear turquoise waters - mainly for surfers rather than swimmers. Here we saw huge stingrays on the shoreline, awaiting offerings from the fishermen leftovers. After we visited the cave museum, where Nick decided to successfully try out some caving techniques.

Later we arrived at the famous Margaret River region, where we could not resist sampling some free fudge at the local fudge-making factory - very nice! Then we meandered down to the river which was not overly impressive, however we were greeted by a very friendly Kookaburra.

After we arrived at our accommodation for the night 'The Black Cockatoo' a budget eco-friendly house BlackCockatoo. The house contained a lot of charm, artistic creations, rustic furniture and an outside bathroom. The garden was split into many rooms, complete with a hammock and a mosaic coffee table. We also discovered some chickens and a white pony at the bottom of the secret garden. The house contained a slight hippy influence and had many poems were displayed. Our room was the 'Tiger room' which was themed on the disappearance of the Thylacine - Nannup tiger which was once roaming in the local forests.

We decided to have a quick walk around the local village (the properties were all styled in white cladding with verandas including the local church - very quaint) - no sign of the Nannup tiger though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 17; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb