Seal Encounter


Advertisement
Published: April 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Late start - fresh organic eggs from the chickens in the garden! Then we went for a walk along the river in Nannup forest where we met more Kookaburras, also apparently lots of frogs - no sightings though. On our way out of Nannup we stopped off at a farm to sample various cheeses made from sheep's milk - surprisingly nice.

Then we set off to visit Busselton jetty which is the longest wooden jetty in the Southern Hemisphere which was completed in 1841. However it has suffered numerous fires since, the worst caused by cyclone Alby in 1978, where complete demolition was required. We walked along the jetty and spotted many fish in the waters below - it took a little longer than anticipated! The waters of the Geographe bay are a beautiful turquoise-green colour and the jetty contains four beautiful cabins as an exhibition centre. It is also possible to visit the underwater observatory at the end of the jetty, which has been highly recommended by other travellers that we have met.

Next on to the canal rocks, where a separation between two lines rocks have been naturally formed over the years creating an illusion of a canal. We were extremely lucky, as whilst we were climbing the rocks we suddenly observed three wild fur seals basking on the rocks opposite. We sat and watched the seals for some time, as a few of them hopped off the rocks and swam in circles. Then we travelled on further to see the view from Wyadup and Injidup Point - which had a lovely deserted beach with sand dunes in the distance. The sea was quite rough though so no-one swimming!

Later arrived at Matan's gallery where we would be residing for the next few nights. The gallery is still in the process of being revamped by the various lodgers. Each room had some lovely paintings, ours containing dolphins designed by the owner's daughter. They are not planning on staying in the tourist industry for much longer as they are now entering a new phase of trying to accommodate long-term artists. We met the well travelled lodgers who were extremely friendly and let us try the local fruit growing within the garden. The house contains a lovely courtyard, an outdoor summer bedroom. The entire property has been designed by the creative owner. We also met the 20 guinea pigs housed in an enormous run in the garden, some of which had designer haircuts and a couple of them pregnant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Beach at InjidupBeach at Injidup
Beach at Injidup

spray everywhere


Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb