Time to get out the fat pants!


Advertisement
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the great things about visiting Australia is that we’ve had friends in each major city that we’ve visited. It’s great because it gets you out doing things that the locals do rather than just the touristy stuff. In Perth, we started off with a nice walk in Kings Park, assisted at hockey practice (field hockey, that is), and went for dinner at a nice micro-brewery in Freemantle. We were also treated to a game of Aussie Rules football which was very entertaining, and were recruited for the HBF Run for a Reason where we walked 4.5km raising funds for various charities. It was a lot of fun and they had about 14,000 people turn out for the run. True local experience!

Next we headed south to the Margaret River area. We had full intentions of making our way down the coast all the way to Albany before turning around and going back north. The problem was that we just enjoyed the Margaret River region so much that we decided to cut back the driving and just focus on a smaller area. We based ourselves out of a campervan park in Yallingup near Dunsborough for the most part. We enjoyed the white sandy beaches, particularly Bunker Bay where the water was just so crystal clear that we had to jump in for a swim. The whole coastline is absolutely stunning. Our days generally consisted of going for coffee in the morning followed by a couple of wineries (stopping at one for lunch), then heading to a nice spot on the coast where we parked the camper and napped until sunset time. Then it was appetizers and wine as we watched the sunset. Throw in the Margaret River Chocolate factory, cheese factory, and Simmo’s ice cream it’s clear that this place is good for the soul but not so much for the body. We’ll walk it all off in South-East Asia, promise!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb