Timber Creek and on to Kununnura

Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kununurra
September 15th 2016
Published: September 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 15th September 2016

We woke to the raucous cacophony of the birds in the trees in the park at about 0600hrs. By 0630hrs we had ourselves out of bed to start another glorious day.

On the road by 0830hrs, quite relaxed after having another shower and talking to our neighbours before leaving.

The temperature was already in the high 20s so we were happy to be in the aircon of the car. Our first stop was at about 1030 hrs just after entering the Gregory National Park. Sullivan Campground is designated rest/camp spot with seats and bbqs under trees next to the Victoria River. This is the longest river in the Northern Territory, about 560kms long.

From here we continued to the Victoria River Roadhouse sitting on the river’s bank with a long traffic bridge high above the riverbed crossed just before it. This roadhouse is under new ownership having been closed for a while and there was little activity whilst we were there.

By about 1330hrs we reached our goal for the day, Timber Creek. Rags was ready to push on to Kununnura, but after checking out
Wow, huge road trains!Wow, huge road trains!Wow, huge road trains!

Wonder where this Muzz Buzz is off to.
the nice shady camp sites behind the hotel was happy to call it a day.

In the river grove behind the camp area Judy discovered a large colony of bats in the trees there, giving us another subject to try out our photography skills.

The two fresh-water crocodiles we saw as we crossed a bridge there gave us more photo opportunities, this boosted when the park owner fed them and some kites at 1700hrs.

Five Jeeps with vans ended up in the park tonight and we spoke to a couple of the owners. They were both very happy with their choice, one chap, Chris, from Mandurah, telling us it was his 5th Jeep, and then telling us about how he set the specifications for his, things to watch when getting it serviced, and how to get the best out of it. He was very informative and enthusiastic.

Wednesday 14th September 2016

We chose correctly to be on a powered site for the night, the temperature making the aircon work almost constantly. We therefore had a good night’s sleep and up and about before 0700hrs.

After breakfast we went out on the Heritage Trail, set up around the town. It was a little disappointing in that very little was signposted or explained. We did see a wallaby on our walk through several different types of vegetation, varying from almost the desert variety to the hot, wet tropical type, all within the 5kms we walked.

The old Police Station and house were interesting, set amongst the boab trees. The police settled in this area very early on to control the settlers moving in. This must give some indication of the type and the toughness in that time.

By the time we returned to the camp we were both saturated in perspiration, the temperature already hovering in the mid 30s. We packed up the van, ready to go, and had a cooling swim before leaving. There is a lot to see and do in the Timber Creek/Victoria River region, including exploring the huge river system with its barramundi and mudcrabs, and we vowed to return when its cooler.

We broke the over 200kms drive to the border at The Saddle, a rest spot about halfway near the mesa-type hills, for our morning tea. Judy had made another micro-wave cooked fruit cake, following the recipe given by the folk at Alice Springs, and this was enjoyed with a freshly brewed coffee. We struck up a conversation with a couple from Queensland there, he a skinny, teeth-missing Aussie, covered in tattoes, she a trim lady from Japan. They had been married for 20 years, travelled extensively between fundraising work, and were now headed for Broome with their elderly Rottweiler dog, in a converted bus and supporting sedan. We found them a lovely couple to talk to. Looks can be deceiving.

All of our fruit and vegetables had been either cooked or partially prepared, so we had no fears when we reached the border and inspected by a Quarantine officer. Rags was dismayed when he was told to unload the firewood we had as there were webs on a couple of the logs, and Judy forgot about the avocado in the back of the fridge. The officer was understanding, however, and we had an avocado sandwich next to the office as well as him being sympathetic regarding the wood. Only 2 pieces had web on them but he couldn’t take the risk.

Lakeside Caravan Park became our new address whilst here, very familiar to us as we have been here on two other separate occasions. We were given a spot under the trees, next to the swimming pool and bar. With the temperature being what it was (35 degrees+) it was almost like being in Bali.

Judy had an online meeting at 1800hrs so we decided to skip cooking tonight and have the resort’s Wednesday special of bbq’d steak, chips and salad afterwards.

Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


22nd September 2016
Rags captured the best pic of the bats in the trees.

Very cool!!

Tot: 0.538s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 30; qc: 125; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb