Bell Gorge - Windjana Gorge


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kimberleys
May 18th 2016
Published: May 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Bell Gorge to Widjana Gorge
Back along the Gibb River Road 100kms to the Windjana.
Passing through the Napier Range and the Queen Victoria rock face again. We reached the Windjana Gorge Turn off and the sign said the road was still closed.
A Film Crew on the corner, we went towards Windjana Gorge.
Arriving at the Gorge for an early lunch and set up, we took in the escarpment. We meet the Brazilian film crew who were filming an adventure documentary and the spokes person informed us he had been the filming manager on 13 serious of 'The Amazing Race' series. Interesting character.
Windjana Gorge forms part of the Lennard River. It is 3.5km long gorge said to be an ancient limestone reef.
We tackled the 3.5km walk and not just the short time walk.
The Time Walk was an easy grade / classification walk to the main pool where we saw approximately 50 fresh water crocodiles, either swimming or sunning themselves on the sand. The high walls of the Gorge impressive.
Keeping our distance we walked on. Noting the fossilised squid creature in the white limestone rock.
Walking on past this major pool proved to be a mistake for us, following the track which was sometimes grass and sand in the midday mid 30 degree heat punishing.
There were no other exceptional sites to be seen and we ended up swimming in the gorge. Hoping not to see a crocodile here. Trying to make the best of the walk we noted green tree ants, cicada's and birds life.
Back at camp we cooled our selves with ice sticks (super doopers) cold showers, drinks and rest eventually feeling comfortable.
A BBQ dinner and salad we were soon in bed. Worn out from our walk.






Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb