Karijini (21-24 July)


Advertisement
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Port Hedland we drove into Karijini National Park and entered the park at the East Entry Point. We stayed at Dales Camp ground area for four nights, which meant the nearest shower and drinking water were near the Visitor Centre, about 10km away (we refilled on most days as we passed by). Karijini gave us the four coldest nights of this trip so far, waking up with temperatures near 0C!

Day one - Visitor Centre, setting up.
Day two - Dales Gorge, including Fortescue Falls and Circular Pool walks.
Day three - Weano Gorge walk, including Handrail Pool; Hancock Gorge, including the Spider walk.
Day four - Knox Gorge lookout, Joffre Falls and Gorge walk (where Mark and Thomas had a swim at the bottom. Annelies and Alex just looked on and thought warm thoughts!!); Kalamina Gorge walk to Rock Arch Pool.
Day five - Early morning departure.

It was difficult to pick a favourite gorge. Even Kalamina, which was perhaps not as spectacular as the others and only had a small waterfall, had a nice walk down the gorge to Rock Arch Pool. The Spider walk in Hancock Gorge and the Handrail walk in Weano Gorge were a bit tricky since we didn't want to get our feet wet and definitely didn't want to swim. We also had a look at the other camp ground (Savanna Camp), which was located at the western end of the park near the flash (and probably relatively expensive) Eco Retreat. Dales camp ground was a bit more shadier (although shade was not something we were looking for!), but by the looks of things, Savanna had solar showers and perhaps flushing toilets compared to Dales' long drops. We were quite lucky that we arrived when we did as on the following three nights Dales was full by mid afternoon.

Because we had a long drive on Friday to reach Exmouth via Tom Price, we half packed the car on Thursday night in readiness for an early departure. It was very hard getting out of the tent at 6.15 to pack up the tent and rest of the car. At 8 am, when we left, it was still 5 degrees.

Annelies: I liked the Kalamina gorge walk which went to an arch in the rock. It had many water crossings. My foot went into the water twice!

Thomas: We went for a swim at Joffre Gorge. It was cold but I went in. Really all the walks were so fun. I liked my activity paper & the patch that I got for the prize. No showers for four days - yeah!

Mark: If anyone is interested, the new 200 series Landcruiser (4.5L V8 twin-turbo diesel), which sits very comfortably on 110km/hr, has been averaging between 13.7 and 15.2 litres per 100 km (7.3 and 6.6 km per litre), with the thirstiest figures on the Purnululu and Karijini dirt roads.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Circular Pool lookoutCircular Pool lookout
Circular Pool lookout

Mission Accomplished!
Hancock GorgeHancock Gorge
Hancock Gorge

Don't slip!
Junction Pool lookoutJunction Pool lookout
Junction Pool lookout

Alex, Annelies & Thomas at Oxer lookout (centre left)
Karijini fashion awardsKarijini fashion awards
Karijini fashion awards

Breakfast for an early morning departure


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb