Kalbarri - July 2016


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
July 15th 2016
Published: January 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

A great child hood memory for me is Kalbarri. A lazy 10 hour drive from Perth it is a town on the mouth of the Murchinson River and is home to the amazing Murchinson Gorges.Some close friends decided to drive up too and we all had a wonderful stay for around ten days.

The weather was warmer than Perth bordering around 25 degrees everyday so not quite warm enough for swimming but you could wear shorts. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment at the Best Western and it was huge! The rooms were massive with a full kitchen and lounge room and a balcony overlooking the pool. Best of all it was a quick walk to the shops, river and local pub for dinner.

Once we had our bearings we headed out to the Gorges and it was amazing. We climbed down into one and walked around on the river bed... We could see goats climbing on the walls and kangaroos in the bushes. We also climbed out to the famous 'portrait' rock to be honest I was scared the kids would walk off he edge so we didn't stay out their too long! There are 4 gorges you can go to so pplenty of adventures for a few days 😊

One day we went for a drive along the coast with amazing cliffs and walkways way out on the edges. We didn't see any whales but our friends did and got some great photos 😊

Our friends and us got right into fishing and every afternoon we would meet down on the river to see who could catch the most fish. Adults and kids had a great time and it really seemed like luck on who managed to catch fish. We knew when we were close as suddenly Pelicans would arrive to take them off us and for the poor kids that was pretty scary! We also hired a dinghy one day and went out for our fishing adventure. The boys had a great time fishing from rocks and the beach while the little Miss and I went exploring in sand dunes.

A weird thing in Kalbarri was there was two pubs, an Italian cafe and a fish and chips shop and none served food until 6pm??? So the lines each night was huge at each place as All those with little kids had to wait to give food orders.

A small flaw in our holiday was initially the Midgit had a cold/flu, then the Little Miss 😞

But... Kalbarri is an amazing town with beautiful Australian scenery so can't wait to come back in a few years!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb