Oz west coast tour - week 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
July 11th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Travelled from Perth to Coral Bay in week 1 of bond girls on tour.
Had our first camping experience...well done me as i'm used to far more luxuries - like running water!! Stayed in a small town called Lancelin and met a banana farmer called Fred and had a few beers with him. not much in the town so just moved on.

unfortunately we missed the world cup final - ridiculous considering the number of nights i stayed up til 3am to watch the other games in asia and perth.

Checked out the Pinnacles at Cervantes which was good but not as impressive as i had expected - still not to be missed though.

The coastal gorges at Kalbarri which were really beautiful and the waves were crashing alog the coast - been really windy though so although it's sunny have been really cold.

Sandboarding in the huge dunes was great fun and only a few injuries to show for it - a huge bruise on my ass and a big cut on my toe when i kicked someone else's board! We tried going down lyng forwards, backwards, sitting down and then standing up (which is what caused the bruises!). laura was pretty good as she's a snowboarder - i wasn't as good but i had a good try at it.

Abseiling in the Kalbarri national park was the definite highlight for this week. i was absolutely terrified when climbing off the edge of a 25 metre cliff held on by only a tiny looking rope! Got some good videos of Laura and !. We did normal bakward abseiling and then forward abseiling which is when you run down the cliff - also absolutely terrifying but even better fun. The National Park is stunning and i'll need to upload some more pics to this entry when i get a chance and the PCs are better.

Kalbarri is a great little town with loads of stuff to do and the Murchison caravan park is superb luxury for only 8pounds a night for a site to park the van.

Our next stop was Monkey Mia - met some of the people who were in our hostel from Perth and had a few drinks and a couple of games of Pool. the next morning we got up early to see the dolphins being fed. it was amazing
Cool dudes...Cool dudes...Cool dudes...

getting ready for sandboarding
cos we were so close to them in the water. didn't get a chance to feed them tho as they only get a few fish as a snack.

heading north to warmer climates and to do some snorkelling, maybe try scuba and see some whale sharks or hump back whales as they migrate up the coast. It's Laura's birthday too so we'll go out for a meal and some drinks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

003..003..
003..

at the pinnacles (it's me!)
Dinner...Dinner...
Dinner...

bangers & mash in our camper
Mermaid!!!Mermaid!!!
Mermaid!!!

no - just me again i'm afraid
woohooo!!!!!woohooo!!!!!
woohooo!!!!!

i can do it!!
The 4WD...The 4WD...
The 4WD...

that took us down a huge 50m sand dune
me drivingme driving
me driving

on the open road at 90km/h
welcome to Geraldtonwelcome to Geraldton
welcome to Geraldton

a very small town
dancing in the moonlightdancing in the moonlight
dancing in the moonlight

a la the Toploader song!
cartwheelscartwheels
cartwheels

along the beach


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb