Looking Through Natures Window


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Kalbarri
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Early start into Kalbarri National Park to see the loop, Natures window (Hawks' Head and Ross Graham lookout) and the Z bend gorge. The landscape was fantastic, 400 million years old - red sandstone rock interspersed with the occasional bush scrub. The views of the area were really amazing and from the top you could see far into the distance all along the gorge with the clear sparkling river snaking its way into the horizon. The rocks were a variety of rich reds and the view from Nature's window, (which is a rock that has a hole formed in the middle) was amazing, overlooking the beautiful landscape and winding river gorge at the loop. Some of our team decided to abseil down the gorge -however we decided to save our money until NZ.

After lunch we headed into the midwest outback - land of few people and huge sheep stations. On the way we stopped off to see the very strange stromatolites at Hamelin Pool which stretched for miles before heading to the world heritage area of shark bay. [Stromatolites are single-celled cyanobacteria - blue-green colour which trap and bind sediments - living fossils. Some are craggy towers others build spongy mats]. There are only two places on earth where these are found. Our overnight accommodation was twin share cabins with a wonderful view of the sea & sunset beyond.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb