The Prince and the Province of River Hutt


Advertisement
Published: March 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Early start - which soon became a common practice on this tour! Our first stop was a wildlife centre in Greenough, where we fed some gorgeous kangaroos, & saw white dingoes, camels and many snakes. Being the last one in the group to sit down due to Ellie's fondness of the kangaroos, she was given the task of handling all the snakes, and putting them around all the nervously awaiting group members necks. At first what seemed a daunting task, Ellie became quite confident with the various snakes, even though they kept increasing in size. It helped knowing that they were non-venomous, although if agitated they may be quite capable of harming someone. The extreme tightness felt as two of the snakes clung around each person's neck was quite an interesting experience. Even Nick has become slightly more keen on snakes. As we left the cockatoo said a few goodbyes, and the collie enjoyed a cuddle from the entire group!

Then we visited an original pioneer house containing an exhibition from the 1800's. We learnt about the various people who used to reside within the farmhouse (some from England) and their way of life, followed by another picnic lunch. All members were now becoming accustomed to their various lunchtime duties!

As we travelled further north we sighted a river gum tree, which grows horizontally! Then we crossed the Hutt River province - a small breakaway country. Prince Leonard & Princess Shirley amazingly claimed this land from the government and have since set up their own separate state within Australia. He even has his own currency, stamps, post office and government quarters. He stamped all of our passports as we entered and exited the state, & informed Nick and I that we both actually had Welsh passports! He has even attended important occasions in London alongside the other Australian representatives. It was a very bizarre place, he even had connections with Luxembourg!

Then we saw Murchison Point, the port of Jurien Bay & great views from the Kalbarri National Park, before heading to our hostel at Kalbarri for the night. Tonight we all had a lovely bbq including veggie sausages.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb