The Gibb River Road Day 3&4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Gibb River Road
September 7th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 was spent mainly on the long bumpy road up to Mitchell Falls. Rory's daughter burnt her hand quite badly on the hot coals in the fire place, the girls tended to like prodding and poking around the fire, as you do! It meant though, that we needed to go to Drysdale Station to get the first aider to look at it and, if need be, fly her to a hospital. She was ok, just got some special burn cream, but while she was being sorted Rory shouted us all a burger and they were goooooood!!!

It was then back on the bumpy road with our tummies full to get to Mitchell Falls. Once there we were officially in one of the remotest parts of Australia, cool hey?! We nestled down in our swags again but tonight I was disturbed! There was a rustling sound coming from the trailer just behind us! Hmmm, i was brave though and went to investigate but all I saw was two big bright eyes in my torch light and then a shadow of a small mammal jumping down! Rory investigated it again when it had come back and we think it was a Quoll or a Possum.

Day 4 was time to explore Mitchell Falls. We walked straight there in the morning whilst it was cooler and had a dip in the water at the top of the falls and then headed to a ledge which overlooked the whole of the falls to sit in the shade and have lunch. After which it was time to make the slow journey back to camp in the searing heat!

After just a short walk we were so hot so it was time for a dip again. In this part there was a waterfall that you could sit under and it was like being in a spa with the jets of water massaging you. It was blis until we saw lots of tiny slug like creepies! We were straight out and inspection inside the swimwear conducted, urgh!

At Mertens Gorge there were Aboriginal paintings and a nice shady rest area we stayed in for a bit and then it was a 2km walk to Little Merten Falls. This is where I struggled! I had very little water left and the sun was so hot. Little Merten Falls was just heaven when we got there and there was a beautifully pure trickle of water coming through the rocks for us to drink along with a shady spot overlooking the stunning pool! We cooled off and admired some of the rock paintings around here and headed back to camp by 3pm. We were all exhausted!

Tea tonight is Devilled Lamb Chops with Mushroom Risotto and Lemon Meringue Pie! Yes! Then to bed in the swag for a well deserved sleep!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb