The Gibb River Road Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Gibb River Road
September 5th 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I survived the night! No nasty encounters and sleeping under the beautiful stars is something else. The Milky Way was right above our heads.

We drove through the King Leopold Range today and stopped off at Bell gorge for a walk and a swim in the waterfall.

Then we headed towards Galvins Gorge, where we saw two big water monitors basking in the sun. At the waterfall and pool there was a swing rope hung from a tree which everyone was doing their best Tarzan impressions on! It took meanwhile to shimmy myself along the tree branch to the rope but I did it in the end!

Trying to describe to you the beauty of the places we visit would just not do them any justice. We are in huge gorges with crystal clear waters so pure you can drink straight from them. Water cascades from the rocks above. Ferns, palms and bush flowers grow around the water’s edge. The rock itself takes on its own character, being flat, smooth, that glorious rusty red color with stripes of dark blue and white in places. Every gorge has the same characteristics and yet every gorge is so different in it appearance and just breath taking. I may not describe them all in detail but each one is a phenomenal view.

Reluctantly we left the pool and headed to Mt Barnett to camp for the night. Manning Gorge is here but we didn’t have time to walk it so we just went and sat on the beach next to the pool at the start of the gorge and then back to camp for a BBQ and another night in the swag!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb