Exmouth to Marble Bar

Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Exmouth
June 7th 2009
Published: June 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Blowhole erupts


After lunch in Carnarvon we decided to divert to the Blowholes as Judy had never been this way before. We were glad we did as the water spout and coastline were quite spectacular with the steep cliffs and the surf surging against it. The camp area here stretches for several kilometres and we were astounded by the number of caravanners and shacks here. We felt the shacks really lowered the tone of the area and hopefully they’ll be removed soon as they have been elsewhere along the coast. After travelling for about a kilometre past caravans and campers we eventually found an empty spot where we could stop. It was only early so we set out to explore the beach and nearby area.

At 7.30am the next morning, we left and headed back to the main road and up the highway to Exmouth, arriving at a rest area just outside of town at lunch time. Here we ate lunch before continuing into town and enjoying afternoon tea with some old friends of Rags, Wendy and Brian. We had arranged to park on their driveway so we could spend some time with them whilst here.

Wednesday Brian and Wendy both worked so we spent time visiting a few of the sites around town including the new marina. The Visitors’ Centre was one of the stops made. What a contrast to Shark Bay VC - this was a bustling, interesting place with several welcoming staff. There was information about the area, Cyclone Vance and all sorts of displays to look at as well as things to buy.

Rags used to teach here and we’d been invited by the current Principal to drop in which we did at morning tea time. We spent a very interesting hour here being shown the developments of the school and meeting some of the staff including one who’s been there since Rags’ time.

The afternoon was spent relaxing back at the van before cooking dinner for the workers!

The next day Brian and Rags had arranged to go fishing. Brian’s friend George picked them up and they headed south to Exmouth Station where they launched George’s boat. After bogging the vehicle they set off to some islands about 5 kms off shore. Several spots later they caught several cod and redthroat snapper, Rags catching a decent size cod and snapper which pleased him immensely. Brian and George spent some time salt water fly fishing but only managed to hook a few small fish.

Judy caught up with her friends Erica and Adam for drinks in the early evening and then as it was Brian’s birthday today so we went out for dinner to a local restaurant named Pinocchios. Rags and I pigged out on mussels and pizza followed by chocolates at home. In fact we both woke up in the night with stomach cramps.

Friday morning we fiddled around, Rags had some stitches out of his neck at the hospital (from another bcc removal in Geraldton) and Judy went to the book exchange. We had intended spending the morning snorkelling at the Oyster Stacks but the wind was blowing a gale and it was overcast. After coffee with Brian and Wendy we headed out of Exmouth about midday.

After a fuel stop at the Nanutarra Road house which is now getting pretty old and neglected we drove on to the beautiful Robe River Rest Area. This was clogged with caravans but we found a spot near some other friendly campers so the next couple of hours were spent in their company enjoying a couple of wines.

We arrived in Karratha by 10am but it was almost lunch time by the time we’d browsed and shopped at Karratha Central, stocking up for the next few weeks. Rags doesn’t like Karratha much so we drove out of town toward Point Sampson where we intended to have lunch but it wasn’t to be! 12 kilometres from Karratha Rags noticed rubber spraying from the side of the caravan. We’d had a blowout! B#!!! F*!!!! By the time we stopped the alloy rim was also ruined as you can see below there was little rubber to be seen! Judy made lunch while Rags changed the wheel and we headed back to Karratha to try to replace our spare but no luck so we forged on without one.

Our camping book spoke highly of the Yule River Bridge Rest Area so we bypassed other promising stopping places (like Whim Creek) to find that there was no sign on Yule River and we had to go through a farm gate. Speaking to some caravanners who had stayed the previous night also we learnt that this area was soon to be closed. Allegedly, some “young guys” and shot and killed some cattle, one of them a bull valued at $40 000! The disgruntled farmer had complained to the shire and they had already removed the pit toilets from the area.

From Yule River it was an easy drive to Port Hedland. Here we bought a few extra supplies and looked around for a tyre place but being Sunday nothing was open. We arrived in Marble Bar just after lunch and spent time getting everything well set up and organised for the next 2 weeks.

Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16



A new rim needed!

15th June 2009

Good looking!!
All your photos look too good and that you're having a great time!!Damn!! Wish I could be there!

Tot: 3.739s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 29; qc: 126; dbt: 0.119s; 3; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.7mb