Esperance 29-30/10/10


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Esperance
October 30th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

RavensthorpeRavensthorpeRavensthorpe

Absolutely freezing here. Rained most of the way from Albany to esperance
Traveled from Albany though to Esperance on Friday - believe it or not, but it was 12 degrees when we stopped in Ravensthorpe. The roads are excellent in WA - wide, straight and have no potholes. The speed limit is 110 km/h so cars fairly motor along. The day was windy yesterday so we had a bit of a sway going with the van as we caught the gusts. Passed through lots and lots of wheat and canola. It all looks pretty good once you get near Esperance compared to other agricultural areas around Albany. The trees are all still stunted and scrubby and thick. Had to watch out for Malee Fowl crossing.

Arrived in Esperance about 4pm and unpacked the van and annex. Wind has dropped so our fight with the flapping canvas and the rising poles is over. We are back to basics in the caravan park in Esperance, No ensuite bathroom facilities, no pool, no rec room. The thongs are back and it's family trips to the ablutions block again. I don't really mind but what I don't like is the balancing on one leg and putting a wet foot into your pjs.
We are camped in the commercial end of town near the enormous port. The port is used for wheat and mining. The mines bring their freight in by rail which operates all day and night. We have the railway nearby too!!But it is actually pretty interesting.

The water at Esperance is perhaps more spectacular than anywhere we have been yet. The beaches are long and white, surrounded by rocks and lots of islands. The houses are pretty ordinary except of course if you live on the hill, which just like Albany gives you a million dollar view. Kids think this is Uralla at the beach. But it is actually more the size in population of Moree (9000).

People drive along the beaches here. Ian drove for awhile and then I had a drive. I just couldn't help myself and had to do a little 'hoon' driving which was pretty good fun. Xavier loved it and said I should be the only one allowed to drive !!!

It is cold in the water and we have had to lash out and buy some spring suits (short arms and legs) wet suits. Thank goodness you can get second hand ones. Still lots of cold water to experience on this trip!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

On the dinosaur's headOn the dinosaur's head
On the dinosaur's head

Twilight Beach Esperance


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb