Bungle Bungles

Published: June 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day Two in the Bungle Bungles and we were up early, the dingoes prowling and howling around the camp ground most the night. A cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs, fuel for the day.
A 28km drive to the Northern side of the Bungles we commenced our day with the class 3, 10 minute walk to the Osmand Lookout, taking in the ridge line and panoramic views.
We then set out on the 2km return, Class 4, Echidna Chasm trail. The most difficult part was the short climb at the end. The chasm lined with some palm trees at the opening is the result of a fault line in the cliff, that has eroded over millions of years. Another amazing natural phenomenon.
Back to the car we took on our biggest challenge in the midday heat, 36 degrees celsius, which pushed us to our limits. We certainly drank a lot of water. A short drive to the challenging, Class 5 4.4km return walk at The
Mini Palms Commencing the trail at the Bloodwoods (trees) with a walk along a small tree lined track, we soon took a right hand turn up a stony river bed.
The gradient increasing gradually until we met the rock face, here we walked amongst the Livistona palms that grow on the rocks Very picturesque, oasis like.
We negotiated our way around and over large fallen rocks climbing as we went until we reached a viewing platform, taking in the mysterious chasm. Not to Ally's satisfaction she boiled over, as most of us have at some point this trip.
Saved only by a little cloud on our return journey we made it back to the car park.
Embarrassed to say we did not have the energy to do the 500metre stone hedge walk and put it off until the next day.
At camp we had lunch and rested, hooking up our water bag camp shower to clean and cool off.
At 4.50pm we drove just down the road to the photo look out to view the sunset over the Bungles, a poor excuse for a sun set as the cloud increased, lightning in the distance starting fires.
Back at camp it was steak and veggie rice for dinner and we managed to pack everything under the marque as the ran came down, lightening flashing across the sky.
In our tents early we listened to the rain and thunder and drifted off to sleep, dry.

Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb