Donnybrook Excursion


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Donnybrook
January 15th 2015
Published: January 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Donnybrook Excursion

It seems like ages since we were out and about after I damaged my back. While I still have some discomfort, and walking is a little slow, we decided that we would revisit Donnybrook WA and also camp in the Wellington National Park if possible. The night before leaving Marg kicked her little pinkie toe and may have broken it or just plain badly bruised it. So we were both down to a slow pace, though Marg seems to be recovering quickly and I struggle to keep up.

We drove across Perth south to Mandurah where we followed the old coast road down to Bunbury where we planned to have lunch on the foreshore. The old coast road runs between the ocean and a large estuary, but by and large neither is visible unless a diversion is made either side of the highway.

The ocean (Indian) was Indian blue and quite calm where we took our diversion down to the sea. The view from the coast here included Bunbury when looking south. We became more adventurous and decided to go through the Leschenault Peninsula Conservation Park and went to look at a bush campsite for possible use on our return. The road got progressively more corrugated, but we did get a couple of interesting wetlands pictures as a reward for shaking our fillings loose. Never found the camp site on this occasion.

Bunbury foreshore is a very popular family beach spot with clean sand and waves that barely made a swish as they washed the sand. The bay is very sheltered. Bunbury is probably most famous for its Dolphin Discovery Centre, and visits each day of wild dolphin looking for a snack.

The journey on to Donnybrook is not much over 30 minutes with the latter part running through the great apple growing region. Seems they grow a lot more than apples, but Donnybrook and apples walk hand in hand. Everything comes up apples at Donnybrook - the fantastic children's play ground - Apple Park, The bakery is the Apple Bakery, street decorations are huge apples, tourist bus is the Apple Tour, and I suspect the local cricket club may use apples for practice as well.

Talking of the Apple Bakery (Opposite the historic Railway Station) we just love their Chopper Bread. Savoury cheese and olives and capsicum and bacon. Highly recommended.
Bunbury BeachBunbury BeachBunbury Beach

Kids having fun

There is a tourist info centre at the railway station as well, but unfortunately it was closed until 10:00 am, but they do leave out a tourist map and guide with some recommended journeys all laid out. We opted for one that went to a winery featuring New Guinea artefacts, a large orchard with public access and shop, and a drive through a local rural/forest area. The winery was closed and had a 'For Sale' sign hung on the gate, the orchard seemed closed as well, but the journey was really pleasant and worth the time taken. We also found a big boys toys junk yard with a drag line machine looking rather exhausted.

We decided to go to the Wellington National Park on the off chance of getting a site in the camp area. Rumour was that during the school holidays it was unlikely. We wound our way down through the forest to the camp and found several vacant camp sites. The Park Host showed us the best one for a motorhome, pretty much right on the waterfront, but nestled between tall trees that provided some wind shelter. One of the trees was a large gum tree which
Leschenault Peninsula 01Leschenault Peninsula 01Leschenault Peninsula 01

Loo up coast.king north
periodically dropped a large gum nut on the motorhome roof. However, these gum nuts were the source of food for the local ring necked parrots who would pick them up and get the seeds out.

When we get to a new camp we generally go walk about to quickly look at the facilities etc. While walking through the bush I spotted a radiant blue Splendid Fairy Wren. I returned to the area with Marg about 10 minutes later, but despite hearing their distinctive rubber duckie call, we could not see them. So we wandered back to the motorhome and sat outside having a coffee and regretting the missed photo opportunity. Then, only two to four meters from us, a whole family of splendid wrens were hunting for food in the leaf mulch. But the cameras were in the Motorhome. M got both cameras out without upsetting the birds and we were able to get several great photos of these radiantly coloured birds. I had only seen one of these birds previously, and on that occasion as is typical, it flitted away into the undergrowth long before a photo could be taken. To add insult to injury on that occasion,
Leschenault Peninsula 02Leschenault Peninsula 02Leschenault Peninsula 02

Looking south towards Australind and Bunbury
David was able to get a good picture. That day ended David 1, Rob nil. This time both Marg and I got great pics. The Mr and Mrs pictures of the Splendid Wrens are Marg's photos taken from the motorhome door when the birds returned for a second display.

You may have noticed that we now both have Canon SX60 HS bridge cameras. Marg decided to use the Composite Auto mode which takes still photos, but also assembles them into a little movie digest of the day by incorporating about 4 seconds of movie from just before the still shot is taken. If you like bird photography, we both think this is really good, but may slow the camera just a little on focus. So we have used both methods and really pleased with the results.

I also spotted a rather different coloured small bird in a thicket about 4 or 5 meters away. Rather than push the zoom too much, I took the photo before little bird shot through. The result was interesting. A photo of a Red winged Wren. Another first for us. In most places we travel in the forests and outback we have found that if you are quiet and still, the wild life is not that disturbed by your presence, and the photo opportunities just seem to keep coming.

Friday morning we returned to Yanchep via Rockingham and then back onto the motor way system.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Leschenault Peninsula 05Leschenault Peninsula 05
Leschenault Peninsula 05

Salty foreshore of the estury
Bunbury beachBunbury beach
Bunbury beach

Sheltered and very safe for children.
Donnybrook 01Donnybrook 01
Donnybrook 01

Watch out!
Donnybrook 02Donnybrook 02
Donnybrook 02

The suspension Bridge
Donnybrook 03Donnybrook 03
Donnybrook 03

A very stable suspension bridge.
Donnybrook 04Donnybrook 04
Donnybrook 04

Weir at Donnybrook
West Australian Christmas TreeWest Australian Christmas Tree
West Australian Christmas Tree

Flowering all but finished. These trees have a spectacular orange/gold flower from November to January.
The junk yardThe junk yard
The junk yard

Old machinery this time!
Wren 5Wren 5
Wren 5

Mr and Mrs
The lakeThe lake
The lake

Wellington National Park
Ring neck parrotsRing neck parrots
Ring neck parrots

Checking out the gum nuts
Tall TreesTall Trees
Tall Trees

Wellington National Park
Road into campRoad into camp
Road into camp

Wellington National Park


17th January 2015

Back on the blog
We predicate this new blog effort. Very interesting pictures and comment. A red wing wren well now that is a first forces too. Never heard of one but no doubt that bird book you have on board will show an example. The blue ones seem a deeper blue too. It sounds like you had an enjoyable trip. Love from US2@136.
17th January 2015

Donnybrook
Absolutely lovely, am so glad you are enjoying yourselves,and taking wonderful pictures. love and blessings----Jakii
18th January 2015

Photos and written 'blurb' fantastic once again.
Pleased to read that you are on the 'road again' - even if you are taking it easy - your bodies need to recuperate. You are fortunate to have such lovely photo opportunities - they are lovely to see. Trust you will keep well and will be up to your drive home when it comes to fruition. Look forward to more 'writings'. Love to you both. Carol and John. ox's ox's
5th February 2015
A tender moment

Beauty
Good to see you blogging again. Nice photo.

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 177; dbt: 0.2391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb