A Day in Perth Central


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
January 23rd 2015
Published: January 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Kangaroo FamilyThe Kangaroo FamilyThe Kangaroo Family

Supreme Court Museum Gardens
We love a day out in Perth City Centre. This is such a busy colourful city where tourists and locals enjoy the great summer living and buzz of so much activity.

We can catch a bus close to Michael's place to Butler Railway Station, and then direct into the city centre by train. Total journey time is about 1:15 which is quite convenient.

One thing we have noticed is that in Perth they love their bronze statues. Be they historical figures, or representations of wild life, there are many to view.

One of my favourites is the clown doing a hand stand in the Hay Street Mall. The set of kangaroos down by the Supreme Court Museum is worthy of note too. We find the map confusing to tell you where this is - it could be St Georges Tce or it could be Adelaide Tce, take your pick.

The gardens around the Supreme Court Museum are also well worth a visit, and even at this time of year which is after the gardens have been at their best, are still very attractive. One feature is a giant Morton Bay Fig tree. This tree is interesting because here it hasn't put down the curtain roots that we see in Qld, but none the less an impressive tree. One of the most beautiful Plumeria (frangipani) trees was in full glory today.

Directly across the road from the kangaroos is a white indescribable piece of art work that defies definition but provokes conversation. Probably the worst but most discussed artwork (no photo this time) is a green caterpillar like something.

Perth is also a popular place in the malls to hear a variety of buskers. There were several today, but two were of note. A budding Andre Rieu but the best was a duet singing great harmony as they presented Everly Brothers and Simon and Garfunkel music.

There were two buildings with great artwork opposite Shafto Lane on Murray Street. The snake really took my attention. If you are looking for a very popular alfresco dining area, look no further than Shafto Lane. At lunch time today the area was really abuzz with happy diners and patrons of the bars.

Perth still has a lot of construction in the CBD and it is interesting to see old historical buildings blended into the mirror glass modern buildings. There is a huge project down by the Swan Bell Tower and Ferry Terminal that will change the CBD skyline over the next two or three years. At the moment, the old lovely parks have been ripped up and major earthworks are underway. We will have to wait for another visit to see how this eventually pans out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Time for a drinkTime for a drink
Time for a drink

Supreme Court Museum Gardens
DiamondsDiamonds
Diamonds

Interesting rock samples from mining areas of Australia.
New lifeNew life
New life

Fern unfurls.
The clownThe clown
The clown

Hay Street Mall
Buskers in the mallBuskers in the mall
Buskers in the mall

These two were EXCELLENT singing Simon and Garfunkel and Everly Brothers style music.


23rd January 2015

Great day! Wonderful photos and story.
26th January 2015

Perth city
Looks wonderful,be glad you are the ,it is as hot as Hades at the moment here .$ years today since Kaye passed, they are doing things for Australia Day down at the Clubhouse , but to hot for this delicate little flower! love Jakii
5th February 2015
Buskers in the mall

Music around the world
We love street musicians.

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 32; qc: 173; dbt: 0.2054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb