Trail Blaze the Outback on the Gibb River Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
October 15th 2014
Published: October 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

For the most hardened adventurer, who loves the intersection of a serious road trip and the challenges of the wilderness, the Gibb River Road in Australia proves to be an ideal getaway. Located in Western Australia, the nearly 700km track cuts across the Outback, offering the most stripped-down and rustic trek any true outdoorsman could possibly ask for.



The Gibb River Road poses serious challenges. Driving down the rough, dirt track will be first and foremost among them. This type of terrain definitely requires a well-equipped 4WD truck, which can be secured with budget truck hire, if you don’t have your own. The 8 day drive begins in Derby, and concludes at the Kununurra and Wyndham junction of the Great Northern Highway. The area proves to be remote and unforgiving at best, so being self-sufficient is required, along with carrying plenty of water, spares, tools, extra fuel, and camping gear for most nights. Good preparation and proper respect of the Outback will grant you one of the country’s most scenic and beautiful drives.



The Gibb River Road traverses the Kimberley, a vast region of Western Australia covering roughly 423,000 square kilometers with a population of 40,000 people. The Kimberley showcases the raw and untouched, wilderness and bush that draws so many people to Australia. Aside from spectacular, geological formations and aboriginal history, other highlights include crocodiles, waterfalls, boab tree forests, billabongs and breathtaking gorges. Many attractions dot the entire route so there are always places to explore.



A few national parks line the Gibb River Road, namely Tunnel Creek National Park and Windjana Gorge National Park. Additionally, a plethora of gorges flank the road to provide lovely detours and stopovers: Lennard Gorge, Galvans Gorge, Adcock Gorge, Manning Gorge, Bell Gorge and King Leopold Ranges. Several cattle stations along the way provide accommodation including: Ellenbrae, Drysdale River Station, Charnley River Station, El Questro Station, Mount Elizabeth Station and Mount Hart Wilderness Lodge.



Smart planning will maximize your experience on the Gibb River Road. For a listing of the stations and distances between them, look at this itinerary. Heavy rainfall closes the Gibb River Road from November to March, but the rainy season doesn’t ever dampen the adventures that await you.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb