Travel to Silverton Australia and be the next Road Warrior


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » South Australia » Adelaide
September 4th 2014
Published: September 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So you think you might like to take a road trip? Or would you rather become The Road Warrior? Well now, you can do both, thanks to a museum dedicated to Mad Max 2, known more popularly as The Road Warrior in the United States. That’s right you can take your very own pilgrimage to Australia and visit the Mad Max 2 museum, located where the movie was filmed.



Mad Max 2, as Aussies prefer it to be called, put Australia not only into Hollywood, but on the map. Mel Gibson starred in the lead role of the unsuspecting 1981 blockbuster, but it wasn’t his acting that generated the feverish popularity and cult following for the film. The unlikely trio of The Outback, an apocalyptic future and roaring muscle cars with accompanying chase scenes fueled box office turnout. Over 30 years later, one man has taken it upon himself to pay homage to the Road Warrior, and has built a museum all things Mad Max 2, in Silverton, Australia.



If it’s your dream to meet the “Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla” or simply strut into the Mad Max 2 museum and repeat Mel Gibson’s line “I’m just here for the gasoline,” then don’t delay booking your trip to The Outback. Your best bet to reach very remotely located Silverton in New South Wales is either by way of Port Augusta or Adelaide. Adelaide is more likely, as it has an international airport. You might consider sorting out budget car hire plans there and request an Australian Falcon coupe, the same car Mad Max drove in the movies. Relive your favorite chase scenes from the movie as you enjoy the 6 hour drive to enjoy the life’s work of Adrian Bennett.



In 2006, Adrian uprooted his life and family from the UK and move to Australia. In 2009, after finally convincing his wife, the family moved to Silverton, where Adrian opened the museum in September of 2010. At the time Adrian and his family moved to Silverton, there were about 50 residents. Now, there are 35. The closest town, Broken Hill, is about 14 miles away and has a population of 18,000. Don’t mistake Adrian to be lonely or bored though, as Silverton averages 120,000 visitors a year, which means brisk crowds for him at the museum.



The well adorned museum includes replica vehicles built by Adrian, a sizeable collection of pictures, memorabilia, exhibits and life size characters in costume. Adrian’s most prized possessions are the original boomerang and music box that the Feral Kid owned in the movie. The amazing collection won’t disappoint and a visit will also show the impact Mad Max 2 had on the region, as well as the Australian movie scene. Pictures of the museum and an interview with Adrian Bennett are available thanks to Vice magazine.



The museum is open 7 days; 9am-5pm (winter) and 10am-4pm (summer). According to the Mad Max 2 museum website, “if you are planning on making a special trip to visit the museum it may pay to call first on 08 80886128 or email: madmaxmuseum@yahoo.com.au.” All the rabid and avid Mad Max fans can now rest easier, knowing they have their place. Fans can also safely disregard what the narrator of the movie said: “…and the Road Warrior…He lives now, only in my memories.”

Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb