Look Back 40,000 Years at Mungo National Park, Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Mungo Brush
January 23rd 2015
Published: January 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

If roaming the sands of time and learning about the origins of mankind makes you swoon, then take yourself to Mungo National Park. The protected national park is located in southwestern New South Wales, Australia. The nearly 275,000 acre national park lies roughly 875km (544mi) west of Sydney and comprises the Willandra Lakes region, which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981. The Willandra Lakes region covers an expanse of 2,400 square kilometers (930 sq mi) which includes 17 dry lakes.



The ancient origins of Mungo territory date back between 40,000 and 50,000 years. The national park serves as the traditional gathering place for the aboriginal tribes of the Muthi Muthi, Nyiampaar, Barkinji, Ngyiampaa and southern Paakantyi. The land holds enormous significance for native aboriginals, as their ties to the location stretch back more than 40,000 years. Artifacts discovered by scientists on site, date the culture as old as 50,000 years, which touches on the terminal stages of the last ice age. As a result, Mungo holds the distinction of being one of the oldest places inhabited by modern humans outside of Africa, evidenced by the famous Mungo Man and Mungo Lady.



Two of archaeology’s most monumental discoveries were uncovered here- the Mungo Man and the Mungo Lady. Partially cremated remains found in the park came to be known as the Mungo Lady, which indicated a ritualized burial ceremony involving a series of burnings. The Mungo Lady is the world’s oldest example of cremation. The remains of the Mungo Man date back 42,000 years, establishing the oldest evidence of humans on the continent. Additionally, the footprints of 460 children, adolescents and adults were found here, all dating back between 19,000 and 23,000 years ago. Humans have occupied this land for a long time, and their tools and cultural remnants are still being found today along ancient, former lake banks. As a whole, the archaeological artifacts at the site tell a fantastic tale about the lengthy history of Australia’s Aboriginal people. The Mungo Man and Mungo Lady were both buried adjacent to one of the park’s central features.



The ancestral Aborigines were laid to rest on the shore of Lake Mungo, under the “Walls of China.” Lake Mungo is the second largest ancient dry lake in the area. To clarify, people will be woefully mistaken if they envision lush countryside dotted with lakes. The “Willandra Lakes Region” qualifies as a misnomer. The lakes went dry about 19,000 years ago, but their fossilized remains provide a treasure trove of research for paleontologists. For tourists and laymen, the “Walls of China” serve as a great way to gaze back in time.



Visitors always herd themselves to the “Walls of China.” The so-called walls are stratified layers of ancient shoreline appearing in stark relief. Over the millennia, erosion sculpted the local sand and clay into delicate yet intimidating formations that now look like a chain of crescents or half-moons along the south eastern edge of the lake. Fortunately for the Mungo man and Mungo Lady, there were not alone when laid to rest.



The region boasts a dizzying array of fossilized animal remains. At least 40 extinct species have been found here, including rare megafauna of pre-historic Australia. Today travelers and visitors are able to explore the prehistoric lakes and discover the local flora and fauna for themselves. Local habitants now include kangaroos, bats, parrots and cockatoos.



Adventurous types who enjoy road trips will definitely want to sort out their budget car hire as the region is quite isolated. Better yet, consider a budget truck rental to ensure that traversing the rugged terrain isn’t a problem. Be forewarned however, that rains will make many of the roads leading into the Willandra Lakes region and Mungo National Park impassable. The park also disorientates drivers easily. So if your arrival coincides with a recent rain, you may want to go with the alternative and join a drive tour group to see the stunning landscape. Lastly, if you’re not 100%!c(MISSING)onfident in your navigational skills, you will want to rely on an experienced tour group as well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb