PORT DENISON TO DENHAM


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Denham
May 15th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

PORT DENISON TO DENHAM

Monday 10th May, We left Port Denison early after 5 relaxing days, (it’s a great spot) and headed to Geraldton to do some shopping. The HMAS Sydney Memorial was quite impressive and worth a visit.
Arrived at Kalbarri early afternoon, set up and went for a walk into town.

Tuesday 11th May, Spent the morning doing the walks and gorges down south of town. They were as good if not better than what we expected on the Nullabor. Spotted some kangaroos hopping around then saw a pod of about 25 + dolphins swimming along the base of the cliffs. We watched them for quite a while and got some good photos and video of them. In the afternoon we went on a cruise up the Murchison River and saw a lot of wildlife and bird life along the way. Quite good.

Wednesday 12th May, In the morning we did the balance of the walks and views that we didn’t get to do yesterday, and went to the “Rainbow Jungle” a parrot breeding zoo with many, many different varieties of exotic birds. Some of the colours of the birds were brilliant. We ended up spending about 2 ½ hours in there.

Thursday 13th May, Our sleep was rudely interrupted by a heavy shower of rain on the roof of the van at
4-00am and it was hard to get back to sleep. We left in the rain about 8-15 and headed off to Denham.
On the way we had a kangaroo run across in front of us, but we missed it luckily. There were three other
Kangaroos standing in the middle of the road and didn’t move until we got quite close. It rained lightly for an hour or so and the road was wet for most of the way to the Billabong Roadhouse where we filled up with LPG and petrol. After 390kms we got to Denham mid afternoon where it was very windy. It was difficult setting up the annexe as the ground was solid limestone and packed sea shells and you couldn’t hammer in normal tent pegs at all. We ended up using all of our heavy items such as tool boxes, plastic storage bins etc to hold down the sides of the annexe.

Friday 14th May, This morning we went over to Monkey Mia to discover that some fool had allowed a sewage leak into Shark Bay and caused the dolphin feeding and viewing to be limited to one feed a day at
7-30-am in the morning. We got there at 10-00am so obviously didn’t get to see them. Never mind.
As we had heard from another traveler that there was only one dolphin there to see one day last week, we decided not to go over there tomorrow.
We watched a National Geographic documentary in the Information Centre about the dolphins and figured that would be enough.
I bought a mask and snorkel at Monkey Mia to hopefully use at Coral Bay.
In the afternoon we went down the coast to Eagle Bluff where dugongs feed and breed, but we didn’t see any, then we went on to Ocean Park, an aquarium with many types of fish in tanks and a tiger shark in a big pond with other types of sharks. The guide really knew is stuff and made it very interesting.
There has been a big fishing competition all week at Shark Bay and they had a big fireworks display at
9-00pm. It went on for about 15 minutes. Very good as we could see it all from our elevated campsite.
The wind was so strong that we decided to take down our annexe before it self destructed.

Saturday 15th May, REST DAY. Pam did some washing and walked up the street to get a paper.
I had to replace one of the awning brackets that had twisted in the wind. But we both spent the rest of the day relaxing. Pam reading and I watched the Group A car racing on TV for most of the afternoon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb