Whale Sharks - They're bloody big fish


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Coral Bay
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

7.30am. The day had arrived. Big Blue Wobbly Fish Day.
I have been looking forward to doing this for years, by all accounts the most worthwhile thang to do when to comes to fish and swimmer interaction. Why? They're huge, anything between 5 and 30m. The biggest one in this area is normally around 14m.

Its real hit and miss with these things. Unlike whales they're sharks! Really.

Which means they dont have to come up for air, so could in theory potter around in the deepest depths. The good news is they come to coral bay between march and june to feed on the abundant supply of plankton that Ningaloo Reef has. Note abundant supply of plankton, abundant supply of plankton, abundant supply of plankton, they dont eat ´me´ meat.

I arrived at the dive shop to be cordially informed that the swell was huge and the boats couldnt get out past the inner reef. This on one hand was good news as I was drinking Jeayer bombs (jagermister n red bull) at 3.30am (seemed a good idea at the time), but on the other hand only gave me 1 more day and 1 shot to get a sighting! Bugger, back to the scratcher!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb