Hi, we're now at Cervantes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Cervantes
October 24th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


H all
We are spending tonight at Cervantes - the place Rick named his launch after. We visited the nearby Pinnacles this afternoon, and were very impressed with the way they are presented for the tourists. We walked around a 1.5km loop walking track first, seeing thousands of limestone pillars, which vary in shape and stand up to 4 metres high, then went to the visitor centre. After that we drove around the one way vehicle track. On the way back to Cervantes we called at Hangover Bay, and had a swim, and also saw the stromatolites at Lake Thetis.
From Geraldton, (which we liked as a town), we have done a zigzag route south. Our first stop was at Allendale Pool, a shire run rustic campsite. We did some walks, saw some more wild flowers, and met some people for Happy Hour - one couple have a 8m Fuso bus the same as ours at home, so Chris had a good talk to them as he had fitted his out too.
From there we drove south to Denison Beach and stayed in a caravan park right on a white sandy beach, next to the marina. From there we headed down the highway south, and stopped for a night at the Wildflower Caravan Park. There were only 3 of us there in a country setting, complete with tame kangaroos. The owner took an English couple and us for a ramble and talked to us about the wild flowers, very interesting. We had done a walk before, but missed lots, especially the small ones.
We did a short hop from there to Lake Indoon, another shire run rustic campsite, on a waterskiing lake. It was an Allendale Pool reunion - as all the Happy Hour people were there again, including the Fuso bus owners! We walked around the lake, and we all met in the provided shelter for Happy Hour again. This place even had hot showers and BBQ's .
We then headed back to the coast road south, and stopped in on the coastal towns on the way . Most have white sand beaches, but there is lots of weed. Fishing boats are mainly still up on the hard - the cray season starts again on the 14th of Nov so they are busy with maintainance.
We drove down a dirt road to explore Sandy Cape - had nothing about
Chris with his mates!Chris with his mates!Chris with his mates!

The flies were bad here
it in our Camps 4 mapbook, and we were surprised to find another shire run camping ground on the beach there. We decided to stay the night and found us a sheltered spot. A couple came in just after us and parked beside us. We got talking, they are NZers too, from Te Puna, Tauranga, and have been over here about 4 years working their way around oz. (They lived up the top of Mindon Rd, where Sue Duncan's mother lived!) We talked some more, and finally I put 2 and 2 together - Brian was the first boyfriend I had - I even went with him to a BBYC picnic at Moutuhe Is in 1965!!! He sailed a cat, (Cameron and I had the Q class yacht that I hung out on a trapeze on at the time), and had spent a summer holiday at the bach 2 along from ours at Matakawau! How small a world is that!!
We left there this morning for Jurien Bay, where we saw dolphins very close to shore. We decided to continue on to Cervantes, and got the last spot in the caravan park - there's a rally on up the other end for a Perth caravan club.
We are now about 250 km north of Perth, and are slowly working our way there, to meet Linds and Harvey next Saturday. It will be great to see them, and spend a week with them.
Thanks to those who have sent news and photos this week, we love getting snippets from home and from our friends we've met on the road.
Cheers Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Hangover BayHangover Bay
Hangover Bay

We swam here this afternoon, lovely clear water.
Cervantes signCervantes sign
Cervantes sign

one for Rick!
blue tongue lizardblue tongue lizard
blue tongue lizard

we met this on our walk to the lookout at Allendale Pool.
kangaroo paw wildflowerkangaroo paw wildflower
kangaroo paw wildflower

interesting plant!
purple wildflowerspurple wildflowers
purple wildflowers

there are so many different types and colours when you look closely!
Lake IndoonLake Indoon
Lake Indoon

view from van
vans side by side!vans side by side!
vans side by side!

what a coincidence!


27th October 2009

Fun and games.
Great photos Lynne. So the old boyfriend finally tracked you down huh??!! What a coincidence. The pinnacles area looked interesting and good to see the wildflowers-beginning to look similar to the ones we saw south of Perth. We saw the Perth temperature on tv tonight is a bit cooler than what you are used to. It was cold here today, only 15 and cold southerly blowing. Not long till you come home now-remember to send us the details of flight etc so we (Den) can pick you up. Enjoy Linds and Harvey being with you. Cheers XX

Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb