Hi, now in Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
October 30th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Regan's FordRegan's FordRegan's Ford

We stopped here for lunch, lovely spot on the Moore River.
Hi all
We arrived at Forrestfield, Perth this morning, quite near the airport, after spending 2 nights at New Norcia, Australia's only monastic town, an interesting experience. We parked there , near the oval, along with about 6 - 8 other vans and motorhomes. We did the excellent guided town tour, taking us through most of the buildings in the Benedictine Community, including 3 chapels and one Abbey Church. The paintings on the walls and in the art gallery were amazing. We attended the morning mass service, and also went to the evening sung prayers with the monks at 6.30pm, so really got in the spirit of the place, along with most of the rest of the campers.
Before that we had spent 3 nights at Ledge Point, on the coast, in a lovely new camping ground. The beaches around about were covered in thick seaweed. Apparently, they usually get a good storm that clears it all away again. It was quite smelly, and definitely not inviting to have a swim! The weather changed, first day there we got 37 degrees, then, it was showery, 1st rain we've seen for such a long time! There we washed and cleaned the car, van and clothes etc yet again. Let's hope we are finished with dirt roads for a while!
We went into Guilderton, where the Moore River almost reaches the sea - the sand has blocked it at the moment. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great while we were there, as it is a pretty place. After a walk to yet another lighthouse, we continued on.
We got the car reregistered today for another year, thanks Hamish for emailing us the papers. Wow, expensive at $808!
Linds and Harvey arrive tomorrow to join us for a week, so I thought I'd get this updated tonight. Look forward to catching up.
Cheers
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Lunch stop south of CervantesLunch stop south of Cervantes
Lunch stop south of Cervantes

We had hoped to stay the night here at Reagans Ford, but the sign said "No overnight stops"
Emu Downes wind farmEmu Downes wind farm
Emu Downes wind farm

Powers the desalination plant at Kwinana 40 kms south of Perth. The blades are 41m long glass fibre.
Ledge Point beachLedge Point beach
Ledge Point beach

covered in seaweed.
Moore River mouthMoore River mouth
Moore River mouth

doesn't make it to the sea now!
Guilderton BeachGuilderton Beach
Guilderton Beach

just below lighthouse, blowing quite hard and showery when we were here
St Gertrudes - ex white girls boarding schoolSt Gertrudes - ex white girls boarding school
St Gertrudes - ex white girls boarding school

There were 4 schools, one each for white girls and boys, and aboriginal and orphan girls and boys, each had its own chapel.
inside St Gertrudes chapelinside St Gertrudes chapel
inside St Gertrudes chapel

hard to get a good photo - there will be a wedding there on Sat.
Dawn this morningDawn this morning
Dawn this morning

looking over the oval


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb