'Found them!'


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Carnarvon
December 1st 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Set an alarm this morning to get up and see the dolphins being fed at Monkey Mia. It was cloudy when we got up- not used to seeing that! On the drive we saw some emus- they really are silly birds, for some reason they see you coming then decide to dart about the road in a comedic fashion! The beach was quite crowded at Monkey Mia and it was difficult to get a good view. They feed 5 female dolphins and there calves about 3 times a day and pick people out of the audience to give them fish. Another species of silly bird :p was lurking, the pelicans whose head is far too big for its legs!

We drove to the Ocean Park Aquarium next which on first sight didn't look like it would be up to much but it was really interesting, well worth a visit. A guy took us (about 6 people) on a tour round the tanks, there were sea snakes, eels, turtles and lots of different fishies. At the end we stood on a wooden bridge while the guy dangled bait over on a fishing hook and the sharks jumped out of the water to grab it!

We then set off on the 5hr drive to Carnarvon with only a roadhouse between us and there. It was a long, boring drive where we saw lots of goats and a lizard- still no roos. We both wish we had music, instead we have WA ABC radio which is like an economic talk station and about 1 1/2hrs from Carnarvon we were treated to classic hits on Carnarvon's local station, classic being the operative word. Carnarvon is small but the supermarket here is really good and the people who run Norwesta Caravan Park are truly lovely.

- Suse


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb