Days 87 to 90 - Broome Bird Observatory


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
June 25th 2015
Published: June 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had met Jane and Jamie earlier at the Courthouse Market but had always planned to visit the Broome Bird Observatory (BBO) and do some tours.

And so it was that we drove out Crab Creek Road and the 20 odd kilometres to the BBO. We had decided to stay a few days and as there was no power available in the campground, we decided to defrost and empty the fridge and transfer all of our food into one of the camp kitchen fridges. We would stay in one of their rooms.

We arrived about lunch time and booked in for a bush and plains tour that afternoon with Nigel, one of the two wardens at BBO.

The next few days were relaxing as we did a lakes tour with Rick and then a mangroves tour with Jane. We were lucky enough to see the rare yellow chat, lots of raptors and a variety of shorebirds on the different tours. In addition, we were able to closely observe the birds and wallabies that came to drink at the bird baths behind the shadehouse (camp kitchen). We had a singing honeyeater that kept us amused when we lounged on the verandah. And, of course, one of our favourite new birds, the Rainbow Bee Eater was always close by.

The BBO is run by a young, enthusiastic and passionate team and what Nigel and Rick don't know about the birds of Broome (and probably elsewhere too) is not worth knowing. Do drop in and say hello to them if you are in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Singing HoneyeaterSinging Honeyeater
Singing Honeyeater

This one cleaned the air conditioning units of the rooms daily. He has a daddy long legs.


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb