Boabs and beaches.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 19th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Erskine Gorge BoabErskine Gorge BoabErskine Gorge Boab

Our car and van are dwarfed by this beautiful tree.
Yesterday we thought we had left the boab trees behind us, but today we were pleased to see that they remained in the landscape. Today we noticed some very old, gnarled boab trees, which we hadn’t seen before. We stopped to photograph one in particular, at a rest stop at Erskine Gorge. It was a huge tree, so we think it must have been very old. Of course, because of its location, it was well scarred with graffiti, and even burnt in places. The centre of the tree was hollow, with room for at least one person to shelter comfortably. Unlike the others that we have seen, this tree also had a lovely green canopy, instead of bare branches.
We arrived in Broome mid afternoon. After getting geographically embarrassed (lost) in the town centre for a while, we found our way to out intended caravan park. We had chosen one in particular because it boasted being the only caravan park on the beach. When we arrived we were very disappointed to find it looked like a refugee camp. We are now settled into our camp, a short walk from Cable Beach. It is a very large park with many shade trees.
Tree TrollTree TrollTree Troll

Frank peeking out from the graffiti scarred trunk of the tree.
It is not far from the airport, and tonight there seems to be a lot of planes taking off and landing. We hadn’t noticed them earlier in the day.
We joined the other tourists to watch the sunset at Cable Beach. Very pretty indeed. The temperature has been about thirty-six degrees today. It promises to be hot again tomorrow. We might take a dip in the pool or the beach, as well as doing some sightseeing. We would like to go on a fishing charter but don’t think the budget will go that far. I wonder if there is a jetty here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Sunset- Cable BeachSunset- Cable Beach
Sunset- Cable Beach

We joined the other tourist at Cable Beach to watch the sunset.


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb