Crazy crocs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
December 8th 2009
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As soon as we were ready we headed to Gantheaume Point, craggy cliffs of swirling colours over a beautiful blue sea. Saw lots of crabs and fishes in the pools of water left on the cliff edges. There are dinosaur footprints here that are visible at low tide unfortunately we couldn't see them. We then had a little wander round the shopping centre and Chinatown spending ages in this little back lane bookshop. In the afternoon we headed to the Malcolm Douglas Wildlife Park which is 18km out of Broome. It cost $30 to get in but was well worth it, had a great time. As soon as we walked through the door we were given Snappy to hold, a 9mth baby croc, he may look cute in the pics but believe me as soon as the rubberband was removed he was poised to bite! The guy giving the tour seemed a little Steve Irwin mental which added to the fun and he was full of stories about flinging huge crocs over his shoulder. The park has over 4000 crocs, some 4-5 metres long and they are mean. Apparently partners often inflict injuries on one another with one there having bit off his gf's nose, she got her revenge though by biting his foot off - very dysfunctional!

The tour started with a big feeding frenzy where the guy wriled them up and threw huge chunks of meat into the pen of about 70 crocs and we watched as they fought it out. The sound of their heads smacking into each other and their jaws snapping is quite something. The guide informed us that if a croc gets you you're basically screwed (very reassuring) as they are so tough, he demonstrated this further by prodding a big stick into one of the crocs eyes then smacking him on the head with it. He also showed us how high they can jump and a couple of the crocs had already attacked humans... There were other animals there too; pythons, fox-faced bats, barking owls, dingos (2 of the pups were so cute and you could pet them as they were tame), kangaroos, wallabies, walaroos, emus, peacocks and some birds that said 'hello' as you walked past in a posh english accent.

After tea we went to a pub quiz in a bar over the road, Zeebar. Quite expensive at $16 a round but the quiz was good and for taking part we got a $20 voucher!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb