Broome, Broome.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
September 8th 2005
Published: September 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Lake ArgyleLake ArgyleLake Argyle

Lots of water, lots of fish, lots of crocs.
Well, we survived the Gibb River Road. Unfortunately our number plate didn’t and we’ve left it lying somewhere between El Questro and Ellenbrae. Some sections of the road were really corrugated and rough but generally the road was in pretty good condition and we managed an average speed of about 70 kms an hour. We particularly loved Manning Gorge and Bell Gorge where we swam both above and below the falls. Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Gorge where very exciting although Molly was nervous about what she couldn’t see below the water as we waded through the dark and all of us were a bit wary as we walked only metres from huge fresh water crocodiles at Windjana.

At the moment we are in Broome and loving the cooler weather (30 degrees rather than 38!) and really enjoying Cable Beach where Molly and Lloyd are becoming experts at Boogie boarding and body surfing and where Lucy has learnt to put her head under water. From here we plan to go north to Cape Levique and Middle Lagoon. Lloyd has not caught his first fish yet but is a master at casting. We are hoping that he will have some success up
Packsaddle waterholePacksaddle waterholePacksaddle waterhole

Secret waterhole in Kununurra that only the locals know about.
at these places which are meant to be a fisherman’s paradise although I’m not so sure about Cape Levique as the brochure says that you will hook plenty of fish but not land so many as the sharks get them before you can bring them to shore. Perhaps we won’t be swimming too far out.

We hope Phil enjoyed his 40th and that dad is enjoying his retirement. We’re sad not to be there for Pat’s birthday as well and we won’t go into how old she’ll be!!!! But we know that David will have cooked her breakfast in bed and treated her in the fashion to which she has become accustomed since she retired.
Anyway love and miss you all from Ange, Geoff, Lloyd, Molly and Lucy.
PS: love the comments on the travelblog sight - always read them.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Lloydie's birthdayLloydie's birthday
Lloydie's birthday

A small gathering in the campertrailer, roughly around 5.45am. The neighbours were impressed
Gibb River RoadGibb River Road
Gibb River Road

The start..."its a trailer and car breaker" said the man at El Questro. Didnt mention a number plate collector.
El Questro gorge 2El Questro gorge 2
El Questro gorge 2

The rock pool half way along the track.
Amalia gorgeAmalia gorge
Amalia gorge

Another gorge at El Questro.
Bell GorgeBell Gorge
Bell Gorge

We camped at a Nat. Park called Silent Grove. Luckliy it was only 36 degrees and we had some shade.
EllenbraeEllenbrae
Ellenbrae

We stayed overnight at a station that invites guests to camp during the holiday season. Tough life and only 37 degrees on this day. Tougher to get the kids to do school work. PS Molly wants to let people know that she has finished the BFG, Danny, Champion of the World and 4 of Emily Rodda's Fairy Realm and that she is only in Grade 1.
Pentecost RiverPentecost River
Pentecost River

Took us 6 times to cross the river to get the best shot.....well maybe 5.
Road trainRoad train
Road train

Only showered us with 4 or 5 large rocks. The Jack looks like at dot to dot with all the paint chips.
Tunnel CreekTunnel Creek
Tunnel Creek

Lots of bats on the roof of the cave.....about 750 metres long
Windjana GorgeWindjana Gorge
Windjana Gorge

Only 40 degrees today......even the freshies (crocs) were hot.
Gibb River endGibb River end
Gibb River end

The exit near Fitzroy Crossing....about 41 degrees on this day. Nowonder the 'Grey Nomads' are beginning to head south.
Cable BeachCable Beach
Cable Beach

The sunset from the bar. Weve been here for 6 days and the surf is great. Pity the water temp is on 26 degrees. Oh well.
Cable BeachCable Beach
Cable Beach

Some of the natives.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb