Back to Civilisation!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Albany
July 2nd 2005
Published: July 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Finances = Green
Fitness = Green(ish)
Relationship = Green
Arguments = None (since last blog!)

Greetings from Albany, Western Australia. Albany is on the south coast of Oz and is quite a large town. Compared to some of the backwaters we've been staying in, it's the height of civilisation to us!! Over the last ten days we have been really lucky with the weather. Considering its winter out here and the wettest winter Australia has had for about 7 years, we have been fortunate to see lots of sun and very little rain.

Since leaving Perth (for the second time!) we have covered the south western corner of Oz. The scenery is quite different to the north, much greener and lusher. There are also more people. On average, per 100km, we now meet about ten cars instead of the occasionas one we were used to in the North! It's just as well everything grows more in this corner as this is one of the main wine producing areas of Oz. We stopped in Margaret River for two nights and went on a wine tasting tour (yes, we did also do one in South Africa but we wanted to taste more!) Much to Mark's delight we also visited a chocolate factory where you could taste as much chocolate as you liked. It's lucky there is no 'weight' KPI at the top of the blog as that would definitely be red!

But the highlight of the south so far has to be our whale watching trip in Augusta. We almost didn't make the tour as it was fully booked but lickily the organisers added an extra one. And what a tour! The sun shone, there were no clouds, the sea was like a millpond and we saw about 20 whales, some of them breaching about 50m from the boat. They really wre the most magnificent creatures and it seemed like a priviledge to be able to watch their fun in the water. Apparently we were on the best trip so far that seaston and we certainly felt very lucky.

The south coast of WA is made up of lots and lots of forests. After two days around the trees we are a bit 'wooded' out! However Mark did manage to climb one of the fire trees near Walpole (with the aid of steel pins inserted into the trunk). However, for anyone thinking that sounds easy, the tree was 61m high with no safety netting or harnesses!!! Fortunately he made it back to ground safely. He then wanted to attempt the 75m high tree but my nerves wouldn't stand it so he only went halfway!

Height seems to have played a big part in our last few days (and given that I don't like heights I think I have done well!). We walked over the steel walkways at the Valley of the Giants. These are suspended 40m above the forest floor in order to see the tree canopy. We also climbed Mount Frankland - 1300ft above sea level. It doesn't sound impressive but its actually a granite boulder and you get to the top with the aid of ladders. So now I'm keeping my feet on the ground for a while!

So now we've hit civilisation we're going to enjoy it and head off to the flicks. And I'm also pleased to discover there is a small shopping opportunity here too! Otherwse I shall have to wait until I get to Sydney in a couple of weeks. And as we don't want to miss the start its time to logoff. Hope all is well and everyone is OK and will blog again from Sydney.

Love Karen & Mark

Advertisement



3rd July 2005

Thanks!!
I would just like to thank you both for brightening up my Monday morning. Having just read all of your blogs i am now thoroughly green with envy. Having been to Sydney twice i am looking forward to your next blog. Have a fantastic time, i can't wait to hear from you both next time.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb