Great Ocean Road


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
February 26th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Once we had docked in Melourne we set straight off for a trip along the Great Ocean Road, apparently one of the most scenic drives in the world. Interestingly the entire road is also dedicated as a War Memorial to all the soldiers who served in the Second World War.

Clearly the Aussies know that no great drive can start properly without a suitably named town. It was because of this that we found ourselves starting this epic drive in Torquay. Stephie was still feeling a little tired from the early start and, as we had not eaten yet we started the day with a healthy trip to McDonalds for some hotcakes (pancakes) and breakfast roll with tea and coffee

Three key things to know about McDonalds in Australia. Firstly, they seem to think it is a great idea to put pickle in a breakfast roll. It is not. Secondly they have free wifi, a marvelous idea that saw us access our e-mail and franticly write to some replies. Thirdly, they have a McCafe where you can pay $2 more for the same tea you get from the guy standing in the normal McDonalds part right next to it..

Suitably fueled up we headed out for a great drive. The views were quite spectacular and that is before you drive past, and stop off, at some of the key sites such as the 12 Apostles. On the first day down the coast we headed to Port Campbell. Along the way we stopped off at “the most significant lighthouse in Australia” and not because it was used as the setting for Round the Twist. It was built after the many boating disasters on the South Coast in order to help migration into the area. It was also used as an important telegram post and as a radar station during the Second World War. We also had an impromptu stop along the side of the road in order to look at the Koala Bears that were in the trees. Needless to say many photographs were taken.

We then arrived at the key stretch of the coast where most of the views can be seen. We stopped off and looked at the 12 Apostles, now really 11 as one has pretty much been lost due to erosion. We also stopped at Loch Ard Gorge. The Gorge was named after the tragic loss of one of the ships that ran aground with only 2 survivors. It was very interesting to learn about all the different rock formations and how they had formed over the years.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb