Our Sunday afternoon drive


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
February 17th 2008
Published: February 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Havin a paddleHavin a paddleHavin a paddle

Crystal clear water

Port Philip Bay



Claire is lying on the couch watchin some stupid film - so I figure its time for a blog and we've got loads of sunny summer pictures to shove on!

We caught another film at the moonlight cinema on the 16th - The Darjeeling Limited. I have never been so bored in my life, it was possibly as bad as the film Claire is watching in the background just now, but at least it was a nice hot night - and we had a picnic blanket to fall asleep on after a bottle of wine.

We'd intended having a quiet day about the flat on the Sunday, but given it was such a nice day outside we decided to take a bit of a road trip.

We've previously driven down the Mornington Peninsula to Sorrento, but by the time we got there it was dark and didn't really see it - so we set out to do the "around the bay touring route"

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.53605B78-B952-40E0-A0C03027F72D84A8/

So we headed down the Mornington side first. I was still hopeful of seeing a Kangaroo in the wild - we've been here six months now and still
Bon BeachBon BeachBon Beach

This is the view from my colleague's house - unreal!
not seen one bounce out in front of the car. I have a colleague who sees them every day - in his garden. Or so he tells me, I'm beginning to thing they are actually like haggis - you only see them in the zoo.

Another one of my colleagues is lucky enough to live right on the beach just outside of Melbourne - so we stopped by to get a look at his beach. It was unreal - the water was roasting hot and crystal clear. Its also quite shallow out to about 50 meters - so ideal for a swim. I can't imagine how awesome it would be to wake up to the view he has every morning - quite unreal really!

So we continued down the coast - we had to make the obligatory stops for Claire to get a coke and bar of chocolate, but surprisingly not the usual, after a red wine night, "I'm going to be sick" stop followed by a climb into the back seat to sleep.

Sorrento is really a nice wee town to see. Some great places to eat - we went in search of a seafood place
The water The water The water

was so gorgeous!!
and found the perfect seafood platter for lunch, followed by two massive cones - we were at the seaside after all!

From Sorrento we got the ferry over to Queenscliff and drove back up the other side to Melbourne.

The drive back from Queenscliff was a bit of a nightmare, in retrospect we should have done it the other way round, but I didn't realise it was quite so far!

A great way to spend Sunday though - and another one of the tourist must do's of the list!

And, no, still didn't see any Kangaroos. My colleague has invited us up to his place (which is in the bush!) to see them for ourselves - this is the same colleague who brought me in a Huntsman spider as I (previously!) hadn't been misfortunate enough to see a "proper aussie" spider. Massive the thing was and I don't fancy our hoover's chances of sucking it up if I ever do see one. Seemingly he has them all over his house! Hmmmmm - that'll be an interesting day out!!

Hope all is well at home guys - we've got a few interesting things coming up down
SorrentoSorrentoSorrento

No trip to the seaside would be complete without a cone!
here, so watch this space over the next few weeks!

Ricky





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

On the boatOn the boat
On the boat

Looking back into the bay
Taking car on ferryTaking car on ferry
Taking car on ferry

Apparently this was her first time!
The coastThe coast
The coast

This was taken from Queenscliff looking back across - out to the right is the Bass Strait
DinnerDinner
Dinner

A nice wee dinner and bottle of wine to finish off the weekend - a fab day!


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb