Home to Underbool


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria
June 20th 2019
Published: June 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We left home at 7:45am as planned, under a blanket of rain cloud with a vividly pretty rainbow behind us. As we made our way along the Calder Fwy the clouds became lighter, the skies brightened and the temperature had made a slow but steady climb from 4oC to 9oC when we stopped at Charlton for a cuppa.







Ted always comes along for the drive on these journeys and today he has once again assumed his position on the rear arm rest, looking comfy in his silver grey onsie. The back seat is in itself a conundrum, as it is cloaked in our heavy coats while our sunhats are perched on top – prepared for all weather eventualities,







Our very early model iPod wouldn’t be out of place on the Antiques Roadshow, but it provides good entertainment when the radio fades to a crackle. It comes with the added bonus of us knowing most of the lyrics to a lot of the songs and I am sure I read somewhere that Karaoke and Car Dancing contribute nicely to ones Fitbit steps tally!











When we reached Underbool (50kms west of Ouyen along the Mallee Hwy) – the clouds were fluffy and there were large patches of blue. The temperature had risen to 14oC but the crisp afternoon air suggests that the prediction of 0oC overnight will be an accurate one. Early arrival at the town’s rest area campground ensures we claim one of four power points so keeping warm won’t be a problem.







We have stayed overnight at Underbool before and so we are aware that not a lot happens in here – we could see and hear young children playing at the school when we went for a walk, but elsewhere there was little activity apart from a few interstate buses and trucks stopping briefly to make use of the public amenities block. The hotel is all closed up, as is the general store. The local produce/agriculture store still trades and there is a small community shop that opens for a few hours weekday mornings but that is all.







The rest area, alongside the old grain silos, is lovely and green and the toilets and showers are clean – we don’t mind paying a $10 donation for our 1-night stay.







As with all Australian State borders, quarantine restrictions will be in place when we cross into South Australia tomorrow, so the few bits of fresh produce we are carrying will be used with dinner tonight – we can replenish them in Loxton tomorrow as we head to Moorook in the South Australian Riverland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb