Heading west to Lake Benanee


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Robinvale
October 3rd 2014
Published: October 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Crossing Murray at BarhamCrossing Murray at BarhamCrossing Murray at Barham

The old wooden draw bridge. From Dash Cam
Time flies when you are having fun, and it is surprising the blur in the memory of what happened where and when. Lucky we have date and time on the camera shots, and have found it useful to photograph signs at various places, both for location and spelling.

In the area around Koondrook there are a number of red gum carved statues depicting the people and history of the region. We stopped and took a couple of pics, but with the sun still quite low, found the shadows a little hard to deal with. The journey was to take us to Lake Boga, Swan Hill and then to Nyah.

The story of Lake Boga really has its origins in Broom WA, and it was there last year we saw the devastation caused by a Japanese air raid in the II World War. Broome was the base for a fleet of Catalina flying boats which had been used by the Australian Air Force to evacuate people for Rubal and parts of New Guinea as the Japanese army advanced. Up until the bombing, this had been a successful mission, but cut off in a night.

It was decided that a new safer base for the remaining Catalinas should be built, and Lake Boga was the chosen and secret base.

The lake is well south and inland, so was thought to be a safe service point, and that proved to be true. The only original building from the base is the bomb proof underground communication bunker. Over the remaining three years of the war, the service centre not only serviced the Australian Catalinas, but also some Dutch Dormer aircraft, and American Catalinas and Empire Class flying boats.

At the end of the war, there were three brand new Catalinas ready for service, but never commissioned. They were offered up for sale, but alas, no takers were found. They were apparently chopped up for scrap metal. There are only two or three of these aircraft left in the world in flying condition. One is currently for sale for $USA 3 million.

There is some original equipment from the base on display including the Caterpillar tractor that pulled the flying boats up onto the service area and hangers. When you look at the Bunker photos, spot the inappropriate item if you can.

The other odd feature of Lake Boga
Pelican carvingPelican carvingPelican carving

At Koondrook
is that it is almost exactly round. We haven't found any suggestions as to why.

From Lake Boga, our Journey carried us on through Swan Hill (Victoria) and on to Nyah, also in Victoria. It can be quite confusing in this Riverina Area as to which state you are in. Several of the towns have settlements both sides of the Murray River. I mentioned Koondrook and the town of Barham is on the other side of the river. We met a lady who's children go to school, one on each side of the river. The only problem is that the school holidays do not match.

There is all sorts of history through this region. There is a dash cam photo of one of the old bridges with a lifting centre section that allowed the paddle steamers to pass. You may have noticed in the previous blog just how high above the current water level that the wharf at Echuca stands.

We stopped at the Nyah Recreational Reserve camp site for one night before leaving Adrian fishing and David wishing, while we headed through Robinvale, Euston and then to Lake Benanee.

We visited the info centre in
WedgetailWedgetailWedgetail

At Koondrook
Robinvale, and came out armed with maps and info PLUS some very tasty roasted Almonds - Spicy flavoured. YUM!!!

We had noticed an ever increasing level of orchard production from Nyah to Robinvale. One of the continuous orchards would have been the best part of 10ks of road frontage.

This is a very fertile area, and with irrigation, very productive. The area grows almonds, avocado, apples, vegetables and grapes. The area around Robinvale produces the scarlet table grapes for Australia. The vines are just in leaf now, and it wont be long before they get very busy. There is a caravan park just opposite one of the biggest growers with on site vans to rent. This week quiet, but not long before back packers will find work here in the vineyard.

Robinvale is also the location of a large fish breeding centre for stocking the river with Murray Cod, Silver Belly and other fish. They are centred at the Euston Weir which not only controls the river flow down stream, but has a navigation lock as well. No boats wanted to navigate the lock while we were there, but when we get to lock 11 on the
The old railThe old railThe old rail

At Koondrook
river, boats pass through the lock several times a day.

The unique feature of this weir is the Fish Ladder. It has electronic sensors and records the ID of the passing fish as well as the associated date, time and water temperature. The fish might have Baa codes if a kiwi had built the ladder. Here many fish are caught and tagged and released, but move up and down stream on a regular basis.

We had lunch beside the Euston Club in a riverside park. This would have to be one of the swankiest clubs out west with great views over the river.

For the night, we back tracked a little and camped on the edge of Lake Benanee. On the 14th May, 1888, nothing happened here, and as far as we can tell, nothing since. However, there is an interesting phenomena on the lakes edge. There are many very old River Gums with massive dead outer branches but a living centre growing even higher. One would think that in a serious drought, the trees have shut down sap flow to the outer limbs to preserve the core. These trees are the ultimate widow makers with 300mm
Catalina CentreCatalina CentreCatalina Centre

At Lake Boga
dia branches just waiting to drop. For those more keen on true history, this lake was used by drovers bringing cattle south from Queensland to the Victorian gold fields. They would stay a while if the Murray River was in flood. It was fenced, and if you know where to look, some of the old fencing remains today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Restored engineRestored engine
Restored engine

In full working order
Beaut truckBeaut truck
Beaut truck

Engine runs sweet as a toffee
Touch down at lake BogaTouch down at lake Boga
Touch down at lake Boga

Taken from their video presentation.
On dry landOn dry land
On dry land

Taken from their video
Officers deskOfficers desk
Officers desk

In the Bunker
30 words per min?30 words per min?
30 words per min?

Frozen in time
Typical fishTypical fish
Typical fish

A standard Murray Cod as described in the pub at midnight.


3rd October 2014

Great effort
Another enjoyable effort. Pity about the new Catalinas going to scrap heap. Tiger Moths at Rongotai went for a song like five hundred pounds. Later sold for thousands but no one had the money in those days.
3rd October 2014

Lake Boga
Hi Marg & Rob, Have been enjoying your blogs which have brought back many memories of places visited here in Oz over the years. Lake Boga ... interesting place. Unfortunately, the museum was closed when we were there so, couldn't "get a look in" but did have a good wander around and a look at the old Catalina flying boat there. You were right when you said that Lake Boga was almost perfectly round which worked well during the war for, not only was it safely tucked away inland and away from enemy aircraft but, also meant that the flying boats could come in to land from any direction. Also, from your photos, looks like you were lucky during your visit and the lake actually had water in it. We were there in late 2008 on our way back from the West and just before the end of our 10-year drought and the lake was absolutely bone dry. Not even a puddle anywhere! We too, have a motorhome and took 5 months on a trip to the West and back again. What a trip! Took 5 days crossing the Nullarbor, going and coming. Anyone who says there is nothing to see on the Nullarbor, isn't looking! :) Keep up the good work. Jan
3rd October 2014

Lake Boga
Glad you enjoyed. the blog. It would have been tricky with the flying boats during the war if the lake had been dry.
4th October 2014

Follow along
We spent two months in Australia and had a wonderful time. As we read your blogs we realize we just scratched the surface and need to return.
6th October 2014

Australia
This is a huge and varied continent. We drew lines on the map in December and were stunned when we realised how little we had seen. We have met folk who have travelled for several years and are still discovering more. Rob
5th October 2014

Catalinas
Oh, sob, sob - how Brian would have loved to see these. He often talked about Catalinas. I think he went in one, or saw one in Wellington at opening of airport way back? (on the harbour, of course!)
6th October 2014

Catalinas
I can just remember Catalina, Empire and Sunderland flying boats when visiting Auckland when Mum's folk lived at Mission Bay. To go from the city to their home we drove past the base for flying boats. TEAL had them (Before being called Air NZ) and they flew trans Tasman and also to the Cook Islands from time to time. I would have been 7?? Hence Brian would have had clearer memories. I came to the opening of Wellington Airport, but my memory there was of a Vulcan Bomber bungling a landing and breaking its suspension before powering away back to Ohakea.
5th October 2014

Catalinas
Oh, sob, sob - how Brian would have loved to see these. He often talked about Catalinas. I think he went in one, or saw one in Wellington at opening of airport way back? (on the harbour, of course!)
6th October 2014

Wonderful Photos
Again I thank you for allowing me to enjoy your trip through your blogs and wonderful photos. Blessings---J
6th October 2014

Jakii
Glad you are enjoying our journey.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb