Great Ocean Rd Day 5


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Portland
September 9th 2010
Published: September 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last night's unitLast night's unitLast night's unit

Taken from a wayside stop just outside town that I forgot to mention earlier
Gday All

For a start let me apologise for the mixed up photos and missed descriptions from yesterdays entry.

Secondly we would really like to wish Bev, our very good friend (who is dog sitting for us) a very happy Birthday and hope she had a great day.

We had very poor reception in Port Campbell and though the caravan park did give us 3 hours free internet by the time all the photos were uploaded we didnt have much time left to edit them properly as it was I had about 20 seconds left on our limit to publish....lol

The caravan park we stayed in last night is just being done up.

We left Port Campbell and traveled towards Warrnambool and at one stage I didn't think we were ever going to get there.
About 500 metres from the town's boundary was the entrance to the The Arch another of the magnificent limestone formations along the coast. After a few pictures back in the car and we are off again. We got a whole kilometre this time until we saw the entrance to London Bridge so we thought we better turn off and have a
CoastlineCoastlineCoastline

Taken from a wayside stop just outside town that I forgot to mention earlier
look since its one of the most famous ones.

London Bridge fell down in 1990 leaving 2 people stranded on the newly formed island who had to be rescued by helicopter and luckily no-one was injured. Again we took a few photos and jumped back in the car and away we went again and got another kilometre and there was The Grotto, another formation but this one was formed by sinkholes leaking mildly acidic water. A few more photos and back in the car. Wow we got to travel about 12 ks before we stopped again.

Port Campbell has its 12 Apostles but Peterborough which is about 17 ks from there has its Bay of Martyrs, I'll let the religious of you decide who's better...an apostle or a martyr but they were just as magnificent as each other.

Well we got a further kilometre up the road and there was The Bay of Isles, we didn't actually stop here but we could see it from the car park it was beautiful but as I said to Jules there are only so many photos of rocks you can take.

We did actually get on the road after that and got all the way to Allansford, a little town just before Warrnambool where there was a cheese factory and local history museum. A lot of the exhibits in the museum were from one of the oldest local dairy farming families, The Uebergangs. There was also an exhibit about a bloke by the name of Johann Ziegler who built one of Australia's first Steam Cars. Johann's workshop was located behind his family's general store which is still going today but his workshop has been demolished.

Johann invented a lot of stuff which he held patents for. He also did a lot of boring of wells around the district so the farms thrived until the First World War when anti German sentiment sent him broke and he had to move down to Hobart after he passed away he was buried in a paupers grave in Ballarat.

After a nice cheese tasting (we decided on the Tomato and Chives) we headed to Warrnambool.

After arriving at Warrnambool we saw a sign to the Logan Beach Whale Nursery. We thought cool so off we went hoping to see a whale at least and a pod if lucky. Not to be though, all we got to see was a learner surfer who I think caught one wave while we there for about half an hour and a seal who wouldn't stay on the surface long enough to take his picture.

We had a look around the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village, which includes the Lady Bay Lighthouse and volunteers displaying old time maritime trades then drove down to the breakwater and noticed this lookout on one of the islands but couldn't work out how to get there as the walkway just went nowhere.

Off we went again down the Road to Port Fairy another nice little town. We just had a drive around the town and since it was a bit early to stop we decided to keep going to Portland where we are staying the night at the Henty Bay Caravan Park.

Tomorrow we will have a look around Portland and then decide where to go after, since Portland is probably classed as the end of the Road.

Well more tomorrow

Mark and Julia






Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Views at the ArchViews at the Arch
Views at the Arch

The weather was really closing in while we were taking photos
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

Before the fall
London BridgeLondon Bridge
London Bridge

After the fall
Views at The Bay of MartyrsViews at The Bay of Martyrs
Views at The Bay of Martyrs

We think this is a cockatoo of some sort but not sure. But they nest in the cliff face right along the coast


10th September 2010

Lurve it!!
Love coming on every morning and ready about your journey - this is a great way to share. xx

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb