Port Campbell and surrounds


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Port Campbell
March 7th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Port Campbell is a very "touristy" stop, in that everything is super expensive, lots of cafes,motels and restaurants. The small supermarket is woefully inadequate in its range of provisions, and my sugestion would be, if you are coming down here, either bring all your food or head inland for provisions.

The beach/bay is one of the most picturesque we have seen!!! even though the water is absolutely freezing. (only one of us has ventured in so far) Oddly enough, there is no boat ramp, we were amazed at the number of boats and trailers around town and for the life of us, wondered where they went to launch. Our dilemma was solved when we saw a crane at the end of the wharf lifting a boat off a trailer and swinging it out over the water. Then it gently deposited the boat down into the water, as one bloke quickly climbed down the ladder to release the 4 webbing belts attached. His mate then quickly has to drive off the wharf and up the roadway to park, while the next car reverses down the wharf to repeat the whole process again.

Another 30+ day was predicted, so a trip up and inland was called for. We left camp early and rode up through Cobden and to Camperdown and stopped at "Bucks Bakery" for brunch and this gave us an opportunity to sit down and admire the town. The avenues of trees were planted in the 1800s and were a site to behold, like most of the Victorian country towns we have seen so far. It was vibrant, well maintained, with beautiful statues/memorials and everything very well maintained. From there we rode to Stonyford then back through Cobden and on to Terang. We stopped for a stretch before once more mounting our steads and riding down Ayresford Road and stopping at Tinboon. The big attraction here, was that it had a well stocked and provisioned supermarket that was affordable to an average citizen.

A really lovely days ride with most of the road surface being less pot-holed than the more popular tourist routes. Just be aware that if you are lcontemplating riding this area the G.O.R. has some sections that are quite dangerous for motorcyclists, even at moderate speed, so please take care.

Advertisement



7th March 2013

Great Ocean Road
Probably like you, I look at roads very differently now, even when driving the car. The good such as bends and curves and the bad such as potholes and gravel are all seen through the eyes of a bike rider. You may struggle for groceries, but you seem to be able to find a bakery everywhere you go.

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0894s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb