Great Ocean Road Day 6. Otway


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Otway Ranges
February 11th 2020
Published: February 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

TowerTowerTower

Otway Fly
GOR Day6
The rooms at the Lavers Hill Motel were a little basic but adequate and the bluebottle, thank goodness, remained a prisoner all night in the rear room overlooking the Alpaca enclosure. This was made even better when I took out my hearing aids. Excellent food at night, as was the breakfast, which was more than I can say for the weather. Quite foggy and a light drizzle which made me worry about being able to see the rainforest at the Otway Fly. Up and down we rode along the ridge and then down (and up) along the private road to the Otway Rainforest. Luckily the cloud had cleared when we arrived and we had a good walk through the forest and up onto the steel walkways and to the tower to see the ferns, mountain ash, myrtle, beech trees and other species making up this habitat for black, carnivorous snails and platypus etc. Some of the trees were quite broad and tall, obviously several hundred years old. After a light lunch we continued across the ridge and through the dense forest with lots of branches and bark on the damp roads making cornering a bit careful. A kangaroo tried to compete with Dave and myself along the road but rather than be embarrassed by our speed it dashed back into the undergrowth. Later we encountered a couple of green parrots hopping along the road by our side. Bill saw a couple of fairy wrens down the Mad Dog Road to Apollo Bay. As we started our descent to the coast the sun came out, the humidity dropped and it warmed up to 23 degrees. We had not realised how much wind we had on our backs today, for a change after two days of serious headwinds, but soon found out when we rode the 4km into it along to the Coastal Motel in Apollo Bay. The warm sun soon dried out yesterday’s washing plus that done today. I had better not tell Stephanie how I am coping with the washing or I may get the job in future. Oh no! The mist descends as I speak.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement






Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb