Omeo/Mt Beauty/Mansfield 2016


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Omeo
November 6th 2016
Published: November 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The Night Before (3/11/16)

Start KM: 76748

Knowing that we will be too excited & have trouble sleeping, as usual we decided to leave the night before.

Departed at 8:40PM.

Took our time down the freeway just cruising along. Stopped for dinner in Moe at 10:25PM. Continued to cruise our way along before stopping for the night in the free caravan/RV stop in Sale.



Day 1 (4/11/2016)

Woke up to inconsiderate noisy people somewhere around 3:30AM, talking like they were yelling across the Grand Canyon, then banging their car doors & revving their engines. Not happy Jan!!!

Next thing we heard the garbos around 7:35AM & opened the door to thick fog. Toodled off up the road for breakfast before leaving Sale at 8:35AM.

Filled up with fuel at Bairnsdale (knowing it would be cheap!) @$1.15.5/L. After passing the town of Ensay, a beautiful river escorted us along the road, tempting my casting arm! Kept going & meandered our way slowly along the windy road to Swifts Creek where we had lunch at the bakery. Lots of old hot rods on the road making their way to Bright for the hot rod show. Spoke to a few of them & swapped stories about out exploits before getting back on the road, arriving at the Omeo Caravan Park at 12:15PM.

Set up the van, put out the deck chairs & had a well deserved drink. Went & explored the Livingstone Creek which runs along the back of the caravan park. Caught a nice 10” Brown Trout within 5 minutes. The Trout Whisperer was back in business!

Headed up to the Caravan & RV Muster at the Omeo Golf Club, which is held Friday through to Sunday on the weekend following Melbourne Cup every year.

Sat by a huge bonfire with live music on stage, followed by a brilliant fireworks display.



Day 2 (5/11/16)

Woke refreshed & after breakfast checked the 4WD fluid levels only to notice a leak around the oil filter. Not impressed as the car was serviced the week before going away. Waited for the RACV to turn up & check it out. And waited. Waited some more. Finally the dude arrived only to tell us it was not a leak, merely where the lazy mechanics did not clean up after changing the oil filter. Even less impressed.

With the day now half gone, headed up the Alpine Road & along the scenic route to Swifts Creek. From there we went back through Omeo & into Benambra, before heading up the long, narrow, windy road to Anglers Rest on the beautiful Cobungra River. Casting arm very itchy again! Stopped at the historic Blue Duck Inn for some “refreshments” whilst taking a walk along the gorgeous river.

Back down the long, narrow, windy road for another diversion to the old Hinnomunjie Bridge over the Mitta Mitta River. Reluctantly headed back to the van as it was getting late to have the Trout for dinner which was absolutely delicious! Fell into bed for a solid sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb