Market and More


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
May 15th 2014
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -37.8143, 144.963

This morning began with a bike ride to the Queen Victoria Market. In all our recent travels we always visit the local market to get that true feeling of the local people. This market was the biggest we have encountered. It is spread over two city blocks. They have a Dairy Hall, Meat Hall, Organic section and Fruit and vegetable stands. In the dairy hall there are 37 outlets of delicatessens, bakeries , a beer and wine shop and a tea and coffee merchant. The meat Hall again has 37 outlets selling fresh meat, poultry and fish. There are just as many fruit and vegetable vendors along with those that sell spices and dried herbs, dried fruit and nuts, and also more wine vendors. Included also in the market are general merchandise stalls that sell clothing, footwear, cosmetics, leather goods, jewelry, homewares and souvenirs. There is also a row of cafes where we chose to have breakfast. There was so much to see that you could spend hours browsing and shopping.

Our day continued on with a bike ride along the path in the opposite direction of yesterday towards Williamstown. It took as past the Docklands and shipping wharves. We didn't quite make it to Williamstown because riding was difficult due to strong headwinds. We stopped for lunch at a hotel bar in Footscray. It was very good and quite relaxing.

After returning the bikes to the shop we rode the tram to view more of the city. It's amazing to see the number of people in the streets. It's a combination of workers, school children and visitors. Melbourne is a city of 4 million people with over 220 nationalities.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Meat displays are PlentifulMeat displays are Plentiful
Meat displays are Plentiful

Hamburger is referred to as Mince


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb