6 Reasons Why Melbourne is the Most Liveable City


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
April 13th 2017
Published: April 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Economist Intelligence Unit once more declared Melbourne the most liveable city. Out of 140 cities, this Australian metropolis won the prestigious title for the sixth time, scoring 95/100 for stability, culture and environment and 100/100 for healthcare, education and infrastructure. With a myriad of cosy coffee shops, great restaurants, iconic architectural beauties, and friendly people, Melbourne provides the perfect living conditions for both Australians and people who decide to move and start their new lives in the Land Down Under.

Culture



Melburnians are very passionate about the arts, literature and music, which makes Melbourne the cultural capital of Australia. What ’s more, Melbourne was named the UNESCO City of Literature, so it is a true Australian centre of literature. Music is another trademark of this city, and numerous streets are filled with music of the buskers’ melodies. The Bourke Street is one of the most famous places where you can enjoy the sounds of piano, violins, but also some interesting folk notes.

Food and drinks



Delicious food and specialty brews are just some of the things that make Melbourne the best city to live in. Whether you’re a Greek cuisine lover or you prefer a good falafel, this Australian megalopolis won’t let you down. Melbourne is the world’s coffee capital as well, staying ahead of Rome, Vienna and Sydney. Therefore, if you ever choose to visit this amazing city, don’t miss the opportunity to taste some of the delicious brews that will alert all your senses. With a range of rooftop bars, Melbourne is also the best city for all the beer lovers out there.

Wages



While it’s been ranked the sixth most expensive city in the world, the wages in Melbourne enable the citizens to still have a comfortable and easy life. With the weekly wage of $622, Melbournians receive an extra 24%!f(MISSING)or regular work days, while Saturdays and Sundays are paid as time and a half and twice as much, respectively. With these high wages, finding affordable rental properties in Melbourne is no trouble for the residents, which makes the city even more liveable.

Sports



Thanks to the major sporting arenas Melbourne is proud of, this Australian metropolitan also has the title of the premier sports precinct. All the rugby and soccer lovers have the opportunity to enjoy their favourite sport at the AAMI Park that holds up to 30 000 people. Melbourne is also the home for one of the Grand Slam tournaments, Australian Open, taking place at the iconic Rod Laver Arena. Those who are great fans of basketball or cricket will be able to relish in their favourite sports at the Hisense Arena and Melbourne Cricket Ground. Watching sport events in pubs is also a big thing in Melbourne.

Architecture



Victorian architecture is the predominant style in Melbourne. With gargoyles lurking from almost every fortification and cobbled laneways offering so many galleries, hidden shops and cafés, Melbourne has the nickname of the most European-like city in Australia. With the gothic exterior, Mason floors and dome ceilings, the Europeans left their mark and Europeanised Melbourne via architecture the best they could.

Shopping



Melbourne is a true delight for all the people who enjoy shopping. With an abundance of boutiques, you can find the perfect pieces whether you’re on a budget shopping or shopping for high fashion. From high-end Michael Kors, Louis Vuitton and Gucci, to second-hand stores, Melbourne has it all. However, if you’re not much into fashion, you can still find great shopping opportunities by browsing for books, art or music.

Final thoughts



With so many different opportunities Melbourne offers, it’s no wonder Economist Intelligence Unit rated it as the most liveable city in the world. The more people visit this Australian metropolis the more they’re delighted by its lifestyle, and the friendliness of the people. Should the conditions stay the same in the future, Melbourne will, without a doubt, be the most liveable city in the years to come as well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.464s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb