Koalas and Kangaroos in the wild


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
January 29th 2017
Published: January 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today we went way out into the bush, to the You Yangs Regional parks, the flatlands of Australia which are filled with the Eucalyptus trees, known in Australia as Gum Trees, and the Acacia trees. It is an area that receives very little rain and is therefore very dry and barren. We went to a nature preserve which contains the famous Australia animals - Koalas and Kangaroos. In this case, we were trying to find the animals in the wild, in their native environment.

We first were seeking Kolas, which are found only as blobs high in the Eucalyptus trees. With several hours of searching, we did find two, both of which were hidden high in the branches of the trees. They particularly did not move much and we were told that part of their defense mechanism is to remain very still when they are threatened. I was able to get a few good camera shots of the two Koalas. I also got a video of one of them moving on the tree.

We then looked for wild Kangaroos who are usually found in packs, called mobs, with a dominant male, several female and young ones. After a good amount of time, we found some good examples of Kangaroos in the wild, something not often seen.

This was a very rewarding day and very interesting.

I have posted pictures of the Koalas and the Kangaroo.

Tomorrow early in the morning we leave for Adelaide, in south central Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb