Settling in Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
February 8th 2015
Published: February 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

G'dayyy from Oz!

Don't worry, we don't speak like that (yet, anyway). Just a short and sweet update on what's going on down here.

We have been in Melbourne for nearly one month now and things have recently really started to pick up and snowball along. Tracking back to a few weeks ago and our days were fairly repetitive. Get up, job search, flat search, then chill out the whole day. We both had a few interviews but getting employed seemed harder than we thought it would be. The first couple of weeks here, we were either exploring Melbourne city centre, relaxing at Michael's flat (where we were staying), being fed amazingly well at Gabi's or hitting the beach.

One highlight so far was without doubt watching the tennis on a huge screen with hundreds of other people in the boiling hot sun. Impressively, we somehow hooked up getting the best spot in the square, right at the front and lay down all Friday afternoon in the sun. Another fun thing we've done was rent a bicycle out for a couple of hours and ride around the city, all along the river and finishing by their Parliament buildings. We also went to the biggest cricket ground in the world, The MCG, to watch a domestic cricket match. In the game, ex England star, Kevin Pietersen, was playing so that was a big draw. We could not have picked a better game to go and see. The game had loads of drama and was won by Melbourne who hit a six to win the match off the last ball. KP, was also out first ball and after Yoni asked me if I thought a seagull had ever been hit during a cricket game, not so long after, incredibly, one was (presumed) fatally hit by the ball, but fifteen minutes regained consciousness leading to cheers and claps from everyone watching! Sticking with cricket, next Saturday, we are very excited to be heading back to The MCG to watch England take on Australia in the World Cup. We have seats in the England supporters zone so will be in the thick of the Barmy Army!

Gabi's oldest son, Ronn, who is a similar age to us has helped us and showed us around. We've been lucky him and his girlfriend, Mary, have introduced us to other people and taken us on a few nights out. We also were extremely grateful to Mary as when we had nowhere to stay for two nights, she kindly let us stay at hers.

Part of our homeless problem was that on a Friday, after my first day of work, Michael returned from Vietnam three days earlier than we thought he was! By this time, we still hadn't found a permanent accommodation. We ended up going back to hostel life, but luckily, it was only for one night. Since Michael has come back, we've seen and chilled with him a lot and he's been hugely helpful to us. He's taken us out for dinner and cooked us dinner, driven us to places we've needed to get to and made us laugh a lot! So we have been very lucky so many people have helped us out since we have arrived.

The major news here though is that we are both employed and have a flat! I started working at KPMG last week and Yoni has just started at Sketches, the shoe shop. It takes me five minutes to walk to work and Yoni ten minutes to cycle. Our flat is right in the heart of the city centre and we have a fairly decent view being on the 21st floor. We're very happy with it after it was fairly stressful looking for a base to live in.

That's the bulk of the news here, I know it is freezing in London, but here it's sunny and hot!

G'dayyyy!

Advertisement



8th February 2015

great blog (as usual)
Really good fun to read. Regards the seagull didn't W G Grace also hit a bird in his time.
9th February 2015

Oz
Well done boys!
13th February 2015

Yay. Proud of you both xxx
24th February 2015

Very impressive.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb