Tuesday 4th November


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Victoria » Melbourne
December 1st 2014
Published: December 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today was my trip along the a Great Ocean Road. I had to be at the meeting point for 7.30am but luckily it was only round the corner so I didn't have far to go. We call boarded the minibus and there was about 14 of us total. I sat near the back and ended up chatting to Lindsay from the USA and Krista from the Yukon in Canada. There were 2 ladies from Toronto 3 ladies from Detroit an Indian lady on her own a girl from Austria travelling with an English guy, a donnish couple and later on we picked up a girl who was from Austria. Our driver was called Doug who had terrible taste in music! He started off playing classical which was ok then he moved on to the kind of stuff you get in a spa when you are chilling outdoor getting a massage and then finally he subjected us to Australian folk type music including waltzing Matilda lol.



As we drove out of the city Doug gave us a running commentary of the buildings we were passing and some of the history of Melbourne. Most of us were chatting to be honest so no one was really paying attention bless him.



Our first quick stop was at the sign which tell you that you are joining the Great Ocean Road. Then we of course drove along the GOR admiring the views as moved along. We stopped off at a memorial for the soldiers who came back from the war and built the road, it was away of creating employment for them upon their return.



We had a stop for morning tea and various beauty/photo opportunities along the way. There was even a sight seeing helicopter at one point giving some lucky passengers the opportunity to see the views from above.



Fir lunch we called in at the site of light house which was used back in Victorian times and I think is still working today. There were various buildings including a cafe and small museum which utilised old accommodation for the light house keeper, there was also a disused radar bunker used during the 2nd world war. There we had a BBQ lunch and had time to wander round and take photos.



Later we headed to see the 12 apostles which are natural rock formations rising up from the sea. They have been formed over 1000's of years by the erosion of the rock by the sea, wind and rain. Quite breathtaking and one of mother natures wonders. The weather was hot and sunny but there was a sting sea breeze keeping the temperature cooler.



As the apostles are spread over a distance we moved locations so we could see different ones from different locations. We also had a wander down to a beach which had some caves and had stalagmite and stalactites growing. The sea was freezing and this was the site of a ship wreck many years ago.



Finally it was time to head home and on the way back we called into the Chinese for take away to eat on the bus on the way home lol.



Throughout the day I had been chatting to Lindsay and Krista and we ended up swapping the usual face book details and then arranged to go out for a drink later when we got back to the hostel, Krista was at the same hostel as me and Lindsay wasn't far away.



We got back about 8pm had a quick turn around and then met up has in in the bar next to our hostel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb